VSG to DS...WOW... pre-ops RESEARCH!!

Carmelita
on 12/20/11 4:25 am - Four Corners, NM
IM POSTIN THIS BECAUSE.....any PRE-OPs out there, especially YOU YOUNG ONES ....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.......research to the BEST of YOUR ABILITY before deciding....Make sure VSG is ALL you will EVER NEED!! 

THINK TWICE
 but CUT INTO ME ONCE!!

checked on our own BLONDIE at the DS Forum?
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4479319/Ya-know-I-thoug ht-you-were-all-lyin/#37058229

below is her OLD POST a couplea months ago ? about her sleeve being "BOTCHED" that the surgeon didn't even give her a sleeve. or some **** the DS surgeon convinced her of....
Anyhow..she had the DS a few weeks ago and has lost what...22 pounds in less than 2 weeks!  Frikken WILD!!  AND...get this...the DS surg  DIDN'T EVEN RE-SLEEVE HER!! Her postVSG stomach was left INTACT!!.......Its ALL MALABSORPTION DOIN IT!!  What a trip!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4448114/Need-advice-botched-surgery/

LaToya S.
on 12/20/11 4:37 am - Edwardsville, IL
I have researched this and got the VSG just in case I did not loose enough weight then I can get the RNY, I am just not interested in the DS.

*I have seen a lot of people who have had the RNY, and once they get to a certain point or after thier initial 6 -12 months they stop loosing. At least with the VSG I can keep at it, but, if I still have more to loose I will go for the RNY and it will be even more effective.

Thanks for posting this---very informational.

It shows tha you really need to research your surgeon.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Katester
on 12/20/11 5:07 am
You can't "convert" or "upgrade" to an RNY after a VSG "fails".....the RNY and VSG/DS stomach are completely different. Did Dr. Wagner tell you that was possible?? I know he doesn't offer the DS and I'm really hoping he would not attempt to put the "bypass" portion on a VSG patient...The VSG IS the first part of a DS. The RNY has a pouch that is formed out of stretchy stomach tissue and the intestinal bypass hinders vitamin and mineral absorbing.  The DS has a sleeve, not a dr. made pouch and the intestinal bypass hinders fat protein and a small part of complex carbs...I know the RNY malabsorbing is only for a couple years but I believe the DS malabsorbing is for life. If Dr. Wagner told you that was possible...then wow. He was not as qualified as I thought he was. And I PICKED him over a couple others that my insurance worked with.
LaToya S.
on 12/20/11 5:46 am - Edwardsville, IL

Dr.Wagner stated that it is done in patients (not his) prior to the RNY to get people to a healthier weight, then converted to the RNY. I spoke to Dr.Wagner, he would not do the conversion but I would have to find another surgeon. He and his staff believe that I can get the results I want with the sleeve if I am willing to put in the work.

He recommended the bypass for me but I really felt like the sleeve was a better choice.

What do you mean he was not as qualified as you thought he was? What happened? I am curious....

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Katester
on 12/20/11 11:36 pm
my statement was meaning that if he is/can/does give a VSG stomach an intestinal bypass...then thats bogus. It's not supposed to work like that. And he should not be telling people that. But alot of people seem to think the DS and RNY are the same...when they are not. So it could just be the patient hearing different than what was said...I'm not sure.
Dr. Wagner recommended the sleeve for me and I had not heard of it....I'm SO glad he did b/c I would have ended up a band because he said the RNY was "too much" for me...
RubyTues
on 12/20/11 10:52 am, edited 12/19/11 10:53 pm - Canada
On December 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Pacific Time, Katester wrote:You can't "convert" or "upgrade" to an RNY after a VSG "fails".....the RNY and VSG/DS stomach are completely different. Did Dr. Wagner tell you that was possible?? I know he doesn't offer the DS and I'm really hoping he would not attempt to put the "bypass" portion on a VSG patient...The VSG IS the first part of a DS. The RNY has a pouch that is formed out of stretchy stomach tissue and the intestinal bypass hinders vitamin and mineral absorbing. The DS has a sleeve, not a dr. made pouch and the intestinal bypass hinders fat protein and a small part of complex carbs...I know the RNY malabsorbing is only for a couple years but I believe the DS malabsorbing is for life. If Dr. Wagner told you that was possible...then wow. He was not as qualified as I thought he was. And I PICKED him over a couple others that my insurance worked with.

A VSG can most definately be revised to an RNY, the VSG's were initially done in a two part system when patients weren't healthy enough or too obese to withstand the RNY so the VSG was done first and then once they got out of it all they could the RNY was done. It wasn't until they began to notice how successful VSG'ers were doing that it became a stand alone option.

My surgeon told me I'd have that option too,. I said.. not going to even plan on that LOL

I'm not really sure what a DS is.. can someone explain that to me please.

Katester
on 12/20/11 11:33 pm
actually no. that is not correct. The VSG is the first part of the DS...as I stated in my reply to Latoya. you can check out dsfacts.com and read about it. RNY and DS are NOT the same thing. I explained that in my previous post....did you even read that part? Or did spout off after you reading the first 3 sentences?
RubyTues
on 12/23/11 3:22 am - Canada
Geez  you don't have to be such an ass in your reply to me.
First of all I was replying to your very incorrect statement "You can't "convert" or "upgrade" to an RNY after a VSG "fails".....
In my reply I simply said you most definately can... My surgeon told me this as well as hearing it from other sources..I didn't say to you..gee maybe you should check your facts before you SPOUT OFF even though I knew you were wrong in your statement  and going so far as to dis the doc that told this other person that it could be done.

I'm not knowledgeable with the DS and that is evident by my asking what it exactly entailed. I was under the impression that the VSG was the two part for the RNY originally, perhaps I read it wrong or just got it mixed up, you could have just informed me in a more polite, enlightening way, but I'm guessing that's not your style.

RubyTues
on 12/23/11 3:52 am - Canada
Here is one of the things that I read that makes it sound like it was originally used at a two part with the RNY as well as the DS... it's taken from
thinnertimes.com

Originally, the VSG was used as the first stage in a two-stage WLS process for the "super super obese because it was shorter, simpler, and safer for high risk patients than an RNY. After significant weight loss, VSG patients could then have second stage surgery, a conversion to RNY or Duodenal Switch (DS), to get them to goal. Over time, WLS surgeons performing the VSG found that it was successful also with patients with lower BMIs and could be used alone, without any second stage procedure, to effectively lose excess weight

SleevedLife
on 12/23/11 5:38 am
I've always heard of the VSG as being the first part of a two-stage DS, not a two-stage RNY.  A VSG can indeed be converted to an RNY, but it means turning our lovely sleeves into pouches and losing our pyloric valves.    The DS, on the other hand, already has a sleeve for a stomach.  So to convert from a VSG to a DS, the sleeve can remain intact and the intestines will be re-routed.  

The best stats for a DS, though, come when you have the DS as the first surgery.  Revision patients are usually quite successful too, but it sounds like they tend to lose the weight slower than those had the full DS to begin with.

Not a lot of people know about the DS as it isn't as widely practiced.  So it isn't surprising that a lot of sources might say the VSG was the first step in a two-part RNY operation.   Many people think RNY is the only kind of malaborptive WLS there is.   My own surgeon doesn't preform DS surgeries, so he tells patients they can convert a VSG to an RNY.  He told me, though, that for some patients the DS is better for them and suggests they find a DS surgeon if they require a conversion to the DS.  

Oh, and I don't even know if you'd call a VSG to DS surgery a revision as nothing is being revised.  I sometimes call it a conversion.  IDK what the proper terminology would be.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 447 views