Home from surgery and this is how it went and feels

happyteacher
on 12/20/11 8:32 am
 Hi,

I am throwing the post up for our newbies.  I was sleeved on Monday morning.  Going into the procedure i wasn't nervouse at all, and I expected to be nausous after.  I was correct.  I was oringialy told that when I was first woken up that I would spend and hour or so before the husband could see me and I would be taken to my room.  It took 5 hours and they gave me tons of meds to help with the heaves.  Strangely, it didn't hurt to heave so it didn't seem like a big deal.  Obviously it puts a strain on the new incision so they were super careful to get it under control.  My only complaint was the gas pain that is up by the shoulder blades and chest- it made if very difficult to lay down and rest.  You know what it feels like to lay in bed way to long?  That is pretty much what it felt like.  I was too sick to want to walk, but by 10:30 than night I took my first trip.  Walking absolutely helped!  I also then noticed the spirometer thingy and started using that - again helps a lot.  I wasn't allowed anything but ice chips until about 4 pm today, so that was a bummer.  Lots of thirst, but the ice chips took the edge off of it.  First clear meal, got down a few ounces of high protein beef broth..  Meal number 2 was full liquid- couldn't choke down the chicken soup, but managed to get about an ounce or so of yogurt down with why protein sprinkiled in.  I have zero hunger and zero desire to eat right now.   This week I am going to focus on staying hydrated and 40 grams of protein, and as of right now this seems easy enough.  I used the morphine pump twice at night, but realized it didn't help with the gas pain, made me nausous a bit, so stopped doing it.  I felt much better in the morning.  Couldn't sleep hardly at all either because of the back pain or niurses waking me up when I did manage to sleep.  The hubby was awesome- stayed with me and did evertying he could to make me more comfortable.  I just made it home and I feel awesome!  Stitched up areas are mildly sore, but I was able to sleep on my sides first night out.  No drain for me, and i loved that!  Passed the leaky sleeve test no problem, but had to choke down the crap they needed in order to check.  All in all I suspect this is the worse it will be, and it was just fine!  Loser bench, make room for one more!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

trayb17
on 12/20/11 8:36 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I am happy that you are doing well and congrats on being sleeved! I am wondering how hard it is to drink the liquid for the leak test xray...I don't even see how you have room to get it down ( just one of my worries )..Congrats again!!
happyteacher
on 12/20/11 8:48 am
 I worried a bit about that too Tracy, but the liquid is thin.  It taste nasty, but you only have to take a couple small sips here and there.  I was farily nausoous going in and it still wasn't a problem.  Try not to worry about it, it wasnot that bad!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cdavis21
on 12/20/11 9:57 am - SC
On December 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Pacific Time, trayb17 wrote:
I am happy that you are doing well and congrats on being sleeved! I am wondering how hard it is to drink the liquid for the leak test xray...I don't even see how you have room to get it down ( just one of my worries )..Congrats again!!
I had a really hard time with the liquid for the xray test. it was disgusting and I was sooo nauseous, they almost just cancelled mine. I almost fainted/threw up right there standing up while they did my xray!! 

trayb17
on 12/20/11 10:11 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Oh, yuck, sorry it was rough for you..Sounds gross ...not looking forward to it, but hopefully I can get through it easily like HappyTeacher!
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 10:57 am
I had no problem with the xray. They gave me lemon flavored barium that was ICE COLD. Tasted oddly salty, but easy enough to get down. Something to think about: If you think you're going to be nauseous, you probably will be. Lots of VSGrs don't have any nausea post op. I didn't. Try to think positively.

cdavis21
on 12/21/11 4:07 am - SC
Me too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Texasteacher68
on 12/20/11 11:25 am - TX
 My surgeon did the leak test while I was still under...I was so relieved!
prevsgcrys
on 12/20/11 8:40 am - OH
Congrats fellow sleever!
PeggyRN
on 12/20/11 8:52 am - Merrionette Park, IL
WOW, sounds like your doing great, I just cant beleive that your surgery was yesterday and your already taking in full liquids, My surgery was 12/15 and I don't get to start full liquids until 12/30 I have to stay on clear liquids.. But I'm glad your doing good...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views