Worried

britt89
on 12/24/11 3:15 am
 So im 1 week out and i absolutly the past couple of nights cannot tolerate protien shakes, or drink mixtures they literally make me gag and im not sure what to do i need to intake 60 grams of protien and i might be getting 20 in for the past 2 days and i dont want to be sick if anyone has advice please let me know, and also i know this is TMI but has anyone had a problem with losing the "you need to go pee" urgency feeling? i did i spoke with my surgeons PA and he says he thinks its bc i might have a uti but that  makes no sense to me bc i have no other symptoms??

ruggie
on 12/24/11 3:21 am - Sacramento, CA
When you say you cannot tolerate protein shakes, do you mean "they make me sick to my stomach and throw-up" or "I don't like the taste?"

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

britt89
on 12/24/11 3:32 am
more of a gagging thing i havent thrown up but definatly sick to my stomach

ruggie
on 12/24/11 3:46 am - Sacramento, CA
A surprising number of people complain about shakes right after surgery, although they had no trouble before.  Some random things:

1)  It might be a mental thing where you still are attached to eating "delicious" food and not bland protein shakes.  If that's the case, you'll just have to push through it. Tough love and all that.  Think of protein shake as medicine you have to take.  The gagging is what makes me think this might be a component (or you have the crappiest tasting shake ever).

2)  Some people, a small population, become lactose intolerate, but it doesn't sound like you have the symptoms of this, and if you did, wouldn't explain the gagging.  If you were lactose intolerate, you'd have to purchase low-lactose whey protein, or instead soy protein or egg protein shakes.

3)  Not all shakes are equal.  I hate the "milkshake" kind of shake myself, and instead use Syntrax Nectar since they are "fruity" and less thick.  Keep trying a bunch of shakes until you zero in on the one you can tolerate (not love, you're probably never going to find anything really delicious, because then it would be full of fat and sugar).  Don't give up.

4)  Your stomach may also be sick since you're so recently out of surgery.  You should have a chat with your surgeon and nutrionist just to check base.

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Foxbins
on 12/24/11 4:09 am
Re:  the lack of "pee" feeling--I had that, too.  I think it's part of the recovery from general anesthesia.  I put myself on a schedule the first few weeks and would go sit in the bathroom every three hours whether I felt like it or not.  About the time I started to worry that the feelings wouldn't come back they did.  I think it was about a month post-op for me.
(deactivated member)
on 12/24/11 4:11 am
Just an idea: I used the Syntrax Nectar protein after surgery because it's more like a drink instead of a shake. The shakes were a bit thick for me the first few days and still are in the morning. I can do a shake at night, but still like either the nectar proteins or a protein decaf coffee in the morning. I use unflavored whey protein in 12 oz of decaf with a 1/4 cup of almond milk. It's pretty good. I'm surprised I like it. Not sure if I would have before my VSG, but it's good to me now! You might try that. Good luck! I hate nausea!!!!
britt89
on 12/24/11 4:33 am
thanks so much guys, im going to go to gnc to see if there is anything else i can take

isabellarossellini
on 12/24/11 6:19 am
 I'm out about a week since surgey as well, and have had the WORST time getting the protein down. I had gotten this huge thing of Isopure Zero Apple Melon that i was planning on mixing with Vitamin Water Zero, but i just could not get it down.   i was finally able to get to the store and buy some more samples this morning.  I picked up some of those New Whey Protein shots, theyre still hard to get down, but i only need to get 3.8 oz down for 42 gr protein versus 16 or a concentrated 8 oz. , also got muscle milk light, eos light, cvs brand whey cookies and cream and chocolate, hopefully something will work, cause you could have scraped me off the floor before i got some protein in me.

I haven't had a problem with nausea, my doc says its common for vsg patients though, and that might be part of what you're experiencing.  they prescribed me a liquid anti-nausea medication which luckly i haven't had to use but you might see if they could call you a prescription on monday.

good luck!  i'm there with you
tripmom02
on 12/24/11 12:10 pm - NJ
 The shots are crap, you would be better off just drinking water for the amount of protien you are actually getting from them. Totally not worth the money.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

isabellarossellini
on 12/24/11 12:51 pm
 I'm really suprised by your response.  The IDS New Whey shots indicate 42 grams of protein which i would consider much more protein consumption than water, and after only getting half the vial down my energy level shot up like it did pre-surgery with the shakes.  So you got me curious and i've been searching the internet for any articles on lack of absorbtion, or anything i could find, and infact have only found articles stating what a good form of protein it was and that is was easier absorbed by your body.  I was wondering if you could direct me to any articles or give me a little more clarification.  i think i might bring this to the main board too.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views