Excruciating pain in shoulder won't go away

Michelle T.
on 12/25/11 10:14 pm - Foothill Ranch, CA

I had VSG surgery last Wednesday and ever since then I have had the worst (and becoming more worse by the day) pain in my left upper shoulder. It is SOOOO sore and it feels like I did a workout lifting 50 pounds on just that arm. The meds for the surgery (vicodin/ativan) are barely helping. Is this completely unrelated?The first day my husband said, 'maybe you slept wrong in the hospital'. Now I know it's not that because I can't even lay on that side. I'm getting worried - what if it's a blood clot or ? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Michelle

Stephanie M.
on 12/25/11 10:21 pm
 You need to contact your surgeon. Severe shoulder pain can be a sign of a leak. If you're not having any other signs you're probably ok, but better safe than sorry.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

happyteacher
on 12/25/11 10:38 pm
 Agreed.  Call the doctor.  You just paid a gajillion dollars for the surgery, they can answer a question for you!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Michelle T.
on 12/25/11 10:47 pm - Foothill Ranch, CA
I just left a message - office doesn't open for a couple hours.
J.Lo 74
on 12/25/11 11:11 pm
I would go to the ER.  They can start the process of finding the source of your shoulder pain. I hope it's nothing serious and you feel better soon! Big hug :))
VeronicaJ5
on 12/25/11 11:28 pm - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Did you have your gas bubble yet? Thats where mine was felt like I'd been stabbed in my shoulder. It could be the air from when they inflate you see what the surgeons office says
J.e.t.
on 12/25/11 11:33 pm
 MIchelle, you might also send an email--did Dr. J set you up on that online system?  Maybe Julie or he checks those before they get in in the morning.  If it's still that bad, though, I'd go to emergency room.  Really.

HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

GrownStatus
on 12/25/11 11:39 pm - Desert Hot Springs, CA
My doctor had warn me about shoulder pain while I was in the hospital but he said it can be normal in the beginning because the gases they use to blow up the stomach are trying to escape, Do you have fever? or nausea?... if you are in this much pain I would go to the ER...chances are the doctor may be scheduled to be in first thing this morning... keep us posted on how you are going.

Michelle T.
on 12/26/11 12:06 am - Foothill Ranch, CA
No fever no nausea...just total, crrushing pain. I find it ironic I have stomach surgery and my shoulder is what hurts! lol! I'm waiting till the office opes in an hour to speak to them.

Thanks
Savannah07
on 12/25/11 11:57 pm
Hi Michelle.  I had terrible shoulder pain upon awakening.  I also had shoulder pain on my right side for several nights within the week, but not enough to take any pain meds.  Call MD, but I think they put our body in weird positions during surgery for some time and something might have been pulled.  Better safe than sorry, so call MD.  Good luck.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views