10 days postop and don't like ANY protein drinks...help!

dawnalexdylan
on 12/28/11 8:44 am
I've tried every sample of the nectar protein powders, i've tried isopure and the protein suppliment I  can stomach the easiest is the EAS carb control dark chocolate, but even still...i'm so sick of sweet drinks, i want something different.  please help!
jessicae
on 12/28/11 8:54 am
 i only like the Unjury brand.  they have sample packets for $1.80 and ship that day overnight if you wanted to try it out.  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

MrVitt
on 12/28/11 9:03 am
 I have been post-op now for 10 days and I too only like the Unjury.  I have Chocolate and Vanilla but a lot of people have expressed liking the Chicken Soup Unjury.  I have also found that using my bullet for blending shakes seems like a bad idea.  It creates a lot of foam and "separates" the shake.  Using a blender bottle has worked best.
dawnalexdylan
on 12/28/11 9:11 am
thank you fellow sleevers, i will put in an order for unjury asap
sunnymicki
on 12/28/11 9:14 am
I can only do mine this way now:  blend milk and ice up by themselves, then mix in my chocolate protein powder with about a Tbs of cinnamon.  The ice dilutes the flavor and cinnamon gives it a little extra to hide the protein flavor.  And having it very cold is the only way I can do it.

Or if you don't want sweet, you could try mixing an unflavored protein powder into a soup broth?  And of course there is the Unjury Chicken Soup like someone already mentioned.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

SleevedLife
on 12/28/11 9:25 am, edited 12/28/11 9:25 am
I'll second (or fourth? fifth?)  the unjury chicken soup suggestion.  I hope you like the sample you ordered!

I also had a hard time with the shakes.  I loved the shakes before surgery, but after it was like my tastes changed and they tasted just horrible.  I tried to choke them down the best I could, but unjury chicken was really my salvation.

I also like EAS Carb AdvantEdge, but I drink the regular chocolate one instead of the dark chocolate.  I think it's less overly sweet than most and maybe thinner than most shakes.  I tried the carmel one, and it was OK also.  I've ordered some strawberry too just to get some variety.

I never found any kind of shake doctoring to help when I thought a shake tasted bad.  Sometimes, trying to cover up the flavor just made it even worse!

Keep trying different things - I'm sure you'll find something that you can at least tolerate until you are getting your protein from food!  Hang in there!

ETA:  if you are cleared for full liquids like strained cream soup, I found that the unjury chicken mixed with strained cream of mushroom or tomato soup is pretty tasty - very savory.  (Also very high in sodium, fyi).    There are also unflavored ones you might want to try, but I've never used them.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

46_11tobeme
on 12/28/11 9:25 am - NJ
 I add a tablespoon of instant coffee to my chocolate protein shake (along with some SF Torani syrup for flavor). It cuts the sweetness down a lot and makes it much easier to drink.

pinkypromise93
on 12/28/11 9:28 am
I use 100% whey chocolate from GNC and I add 1 scoop to 8 oz of water then I add ice and use my blender to blend it, that is the only one and only way I can drink it, ice cold ;-) ............milk in it makes me sick, only tried it once and did not like it, it was too heavy, but with the water and ice and blended, I love it ;-) good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 10:50 am - WV
I can't handle the foam on the top of the powders after I mix them...I am drinking the EAS Advant-Edge-all flavors.  I love the chocolate and drink them as chocolate milk.  The french vanilla is just like a vanilla milk shake.  The strawberry is good but I find it too sweet.  I like it more like a bed time snack.  Hope this helps.
SleevedLife
on 12/28/11 1:03 pm
Oh, here is something else that has sometimes worked for me.  Try freezing your shake. :)  It won't be like ice cream or anything, but more like a hard icee.  Sometimes the change in texture is the difference between getting it down and not getting it down.  Plus the frozen makes you really take your time to get it in, which is sometimes helpful.

:)  Good luck!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 106 views
Expired Optifast Question