Exercising for Newbies

mendez2011
on 12/30/11 9:14 am - CA
I am a new sleever, 11 days post op. I forgot to ask what kind of exercising I could do and when. I have been walking but I would like to do more if I am supposed to. Can you give me some insight to beginning excercising?
Thanks
Hugs,

acbbrown
on 12/30/11 9:23 am - Granada Hills, CA
1, Always ask your doctor

but, generally, Id say 6 weeks is about average for docs to clear most people for general exercise. Before that, id say stick to walking since you are still healing.

At 11 days post op, walk but take it easy. I worked out a lot pre-op but the word "exercise" was not on my radar until about 4 weeks and even then, i was only at about half the intensity I was prior to surgery.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mooosie
on 12/30/11 11:21 am - CT
I got cleared after 2 weeks and even for the pool. I'm walking on the mill 10 min no incline 1.9 speed: several bench exercises and a 12 # bar. 1/2 hour 3x a week, lap swim 40 min 3x week

VeronicaJ5
on 12/30/11 9:29 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
6 weeks for anything strenuous is what my surgeon told me yesterday, up until then I can't do much but walk or lift over ten pounds (I didn't tell him I think my purse weighs more than that and so does my shih tzu who I pick up all day)
SleeveRockn Chic
on 12/30/11 9:37 am
 Someone on the main board posted a thing about Zumba in a chair and they had a youtube link.  Really good for ppl I think starting off or people with pains that is hard to stand and exercise.  Maybe you could check this out.  Kerry  

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

happyteacher
on 12/30/11 9:40 am
 Yesterday at my appoinment if I could start to use my elliptical.  They said yes, just without the arm portion.  After 7 minutes I had a lot of pain in the area that hurt just out of surgery due to the hernia.  Needless to say I stopped.  I ended up using Loritab before bed as the shoulder pain was enough where I couldn't lay down.  Felt better this morning, but I am just going to stick to walking for now.  I am not allowed to lift over 10 pounds, and I too had a purse that was too heavy.  I ended up taking out only a few needed items and switching to a much lighter bag. 

Went in to work this morning, a classroom with no students.  Worked 5 hours basically just sitting at the desk and I was wiped out.  Hopefully the energy picks up a bit more before my students come back!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

RubyTues
on 12/30/11 10:01 am - Canada
I started at two weeks post up, but it was light.. just walking on the treadmill at the gym and then around our school track. My surgeon told me as long as you aren't breaking a sweat.. as dehydration is such a high possibility this early in the game. Which is why it's a bonus to be early out in the winter months I guess.
I go to see my surgeon on the third of Jan and I hope to be cleared for some resistance exercising.
Oh and I was at a stall with the weight loss til I started the walking then it just seemed to kickstart it again.

mendez2011
on 12/30/11 10:01 am - CA

Thank you all for the input. I forgot to ask at my appointment. I just didnt want to get behind, lol.  Today I made my first trip to WalMart and it reallly pooped me out. but it was good walking.

Thanks again to all! I love this forum and I am so glad I have all of you to help me with my journey!
Hugs.

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/11 10:19 am
Exactly the same.  Wal****il 6 weeks, then slowly progress into regular exercise.  My Doc added that you should do 70 percent aerobic and 30 percent weight training for the weight loss period.
Jennifer S.
on 12/30/11 10:31 am

Exercising after surgery should start slowly.   You could seriously injure yourself if you begin too quickly.  You should definitely ask your medical team for their opinion and plan.  I was allowed to walk and then at 6 weeks was allowed to resume actual exercise. 

Good luck to you!

Jennifer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 105 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 329 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 378 views