12 days post-op and tired - is this normal?

jmckel1
on 1/2/12 3:20 am, edited 1/2/12 3:21 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi, I had lap-band to VSG revision surgery (laparoscopically) 12 days ago. (I will have the second part of the DS in June of this year). I'm drinking about 80 oz. of water a day, and taking vitamins, but still feel rather nauseous when eating.  I average 3-4 protein shakes a day (of 30gm protein, 160 kcal each), but I'm not eating much beyond that. I'm generally very sleepy. This is my third laparoscopic bariatric surgery (the first two being a lap-band placement and a lap-band replacement). I'm generally a fast healer, but I don't remember feeling quite this tired this far out.

Is this typical?

Thanks,

Julie

Nanapat1018
on 1/2/12 3:55 am - MN
Has your surgeon given you any prescriptions for nausea?  Mine did and it really helps.  I had  VSG on the 15th of Dec, and I felt a little lethergic a few days after I got home; but the prescription really helped with the nausea and I started drinking fruit juice (diluted) and my doctor allowed yogurt (no fruit hunks) so you get a little more variety in the nutrients you are taking in.  I also can have broths - so my diet is more than just protien and I feel really good.  Might be worth a try for you?
Jackie00
on 1/2/12 3:58 am
I know myself it took me a good three months, just starting to get some. I added some vitamin D daily to my vitamins, not sure if that is the reason or not, a Dr friend told me to start taking them when I complained about being so tired still but I was always tired before my surgery too..
Where you are just 12 days post op, don't expect miracles, your body has been through a major surgery. I took four weeks off and glad I did to get some sleep, plus my family doc at the time said four weeks. All I can suggest is get a good sleep at night, follow the same schedule of going to bed and waking up, our bodies need a routine. Glad to be getting back to a normal routine after the holidays, I will probably pay big time for the lack of routine the last three weeks.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

JNelson825
on 1/2/12 6:30 am - CA
Maybe the amount of protein you are taking in.  If you drink 4, that's 120 g protein.  I'm only saying that as I drank an extra protein shake yesterday and experienced nausea after finishing it.  That's the only time I have felt nausa since surgery.
Happy966
on 1/2/12 10:11 am

I was *very* tired the first two months after surgery.  Twice I was so exhausted by 5:00 p.m. that I lay my head down on my desk and fell asleep (I usually wor****il 6:30 p.m.).  I also felt nauseated a couple of times after eating.  It got lots better as I healed.  Hope this helps!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 231 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 306 views