So who has lost their gallblader since surgery?

asweetiepye
on 1/5/12 10:41 am

I have been having bouts of nausea. So on 12/22 I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder that came back normal. But the NP said if I was still having nausea I could get another test done. So on yesterday (1/4/12), I got a HIDA scan. The NP called back with the results and said yep the gallbladder is not working very well. She asked if I wanted to go ahead and schedule surgery? (When I found out the us was negative I thought maybe it was all in my head. You know just related to not wanting to go to work)
I told her that I would have to wait because I have used all my PTO/sick time from calling in due to nausea. My supervisor claims I have maxed out my FMLA for the last 12 mos Dec 10- Dec11.  I told her I needed to build up some time and of course wait for some of my FMLA hours to fall off since it is on a rolling calendar.
NP says that is fine if I need any nausea meds call and they will order for me. I know speedy weight loss can be followed by gallbladder issues. So is anyone else in my same boat?

Andrea- HT- 5' 7" HW-286 SW-265  CW-153.6
newme2011-2012
on 1/5/12 10:52 am
Sorry you are haivng issues the the good ol gall bladder...
I had mine out the same day I did my sleeve because I have had 2 other attacks in the past. I had ultra sounds and no stones. Even when I had it out it was full of sludge and still no stones.
I just figured I should get rid of it so I didn't end up having more surgery down the road..
Hope you can hang in there until surgery those symptoms are no fun..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

asweetiepye
on 1/5/12 11:40 am
Thx!

MenagerieNik
on 1/5/12 11:45 am
 My surgery was 6/30 and I had my gall bladder out in mid-October. About a week after my sleeve, I went into the hospital with pancreatitis which was caused by a gall stone blocking the common biliary duct. We decided then to have the GB out but decided to wait until I was healed from the VSG. I was having attacks more and more frequently so had the surgery in Oct. I had another series of attacks, caused by an errant stone that was missed, around Thanksgiving.  No bad side effects from having the GB removed. 

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
asweetiepye
on 1/5/12 12:11 pm
Thx! Good to hear. How long was the recovery from the GB surgery?

MenagerieNik
on 1/5/12 1:35 pm
 It was very short. I was back to normal in a couple of days. 

HW: 285 SW: 267 GW: 130
maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 1/6/12 8:30 am
I was sleeved in March 2011 and my gall bladder decided it no longer wanted to be part of my body December 1, 2011... or that is how I like to put it.  I actually never had typical gall bladder symptoms until now that I look back and realize that it could have been my gall bladder when I thought that it was maybe something I ate that was not agreeing with me or gas or constipation for months before, but it was never something especially bothersome.  I started having pain that got worse and worse and worse.  At first, I thought it was constipation but when nothing relieved the pain,  I went to the ER after the pain got so bad that I could not stand it anymore.  After 12 hours in the ER, 2 CT scans, 3 x-rays, and an abdominal ultrasound later, they seemed to think it was my gall bladder because the ultrasound showed a few stones and the CT scan showed fluid around my gall bladder area.  At that point, they decided to operate and remove it and see if they could figure out if that was it or if there was something else wrong while they were in there.  Well, after surgery, the surgeon told me that he had never seen a gall bladder quite like mine--- it appeared as though it was about to rupture and was severely infected.  That whole night I kept getting bags and bags of IV antibiotics.
I was in the hospital for 2 nights but everything was done laproscopically just like the sleeve surgery.  I just returned to work this past week.  I felt that I could have gone back to work after a week or 2 but since I am a nurse and do a lot of bending and lifting, they insisted that I stay out 4 weeks and still have my lifting restricted for the first two weeks I am back.  For me, it was much easier than my sleeve surgery. 
They seem to think that my gall bladder issue was related to the rapid weight loss but I later found out after that pretty much most adults in my dad's family have had their gall bladder removed so part of it could be genetic too.
Hope everything goes well for you. 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 236 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views