Post-op Protein Drink Info needed

Jamie_45
on 1/5/12 12:57 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
My Surgeon's office has recommended 2 high calorie-high protein shakes per day plus all the normal 64-80 oz of clear liquids.  The two brands they recommend are Optisource and Boost.  Has anyone used these brands and how do they taste? They've had me on Premier protein drinks (Costco/Sams) for my 2-wk pre-op and I'm sooooo sick of them!  I'm thinking of just using Unjury as I have found it to taste the best with the least after-taste and mix it with LF yogurt instead of FF. 

Otterwench
on 1/5/12 1:15 am - Camano Island, WA
 IMHO, it's always best to follow your docs recommendations.  However, if either of those choices are not tollerable, ask about other options.  My plan gives lots of latitude to choose as long as each protein "meal" has at least 30 grams of protein and is low in sugar/carb (5g or less).  Good luck with this.  I was on the drinks for 6 weeks (no food, only clear liquids and the protein) and they got old quickly!!  Really makes you appreciate the food/flavors when they finally let you eat baby food!

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

Emily W.
on 1/5/12 1:16 am - Burnsville, MN
VSG on 01/09/12
I am using 
GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - Vanilla

which tastes great and it digests better than other brands.  Comes in other flavors too.

I also bought some Ensure that has a protein option.  They taste pretty good too.

5 more days lady.... Woo us!
alibri2
on 1/5/12 1:31 am
 I use NECTAR, it mixes with water, 25 protein, 0 carbs, 100 cal per scoop.  I love it!!!! There are many flavors to try, I suggest getting a sample pack.  The best tasting I have found are fuzzy navel, carribean cooler, strawberry kiwi, twisted cherry, crystal sky.  The one that I found didn't mix well was the iced tea flavor.

I normally use 2 scoops of whatever flavor I feel for the day in 16 oz of water and that gives me 50 g of protein right off top.  Then later I can just mix 1 scoop of a different flavor with 8 oz of water.

Might be worth a try.

buttercupnectar
on 1/5/12 2:50 am
Question:  So are these something you use for just a drink (like crystal light), not a shake?

Jamie_45
on 1/5/12 4:40 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
No, from what I can tell by looking online is it's similar to Isopure but more calories and protein in 3.2 oz bottles.  I will try them, but may have to go back to Nectar and Unjury.

california42
on 1/5/12 9:41 am
ISN'T NECTAR THE BEST. I KNEW THAT I WAS GOING TO MISS MY COFFEE AFTER SUGERY. I GOT THE SAMPLE PACK AND TRIED THE CAPPUCCINO. LOVE IT.  I BOUGHT A TUB OF CRYSTAL SKY AND THAT DOESN'T MIX VERY WELL AND I USE HO****ER TO TRY AND DISSOLVE IT AND THEN ADD ICE, BU IT WON'T MIX. OH WELL. TAKE CARE.
doggz109
on 1/5/12 10:01 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Don't use ho****er with protein......it definitely won't mix very well.  Try a Blender Bottle or shaker cup....they work well at  getting it mixed.
mcc57
on 1/5/12 1:33 am
I like the Boost. So far my favorite is the EAS Myoplex Lite. The Boost is my second favorite.

BigKev78
on 1/5/12 1:45 am - Lilburn, GA
I am using Unjury Chocolate Splendor and I really like it in about 10oz of skim milk. Going to get some samples of the Bariatric Advantage shakes this weekend too.

Big Kev   My video Blog: http://www.youtube.com/user/ckb1978?feature=mhee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 163 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views