Did this happen to you with UHC?

Dee60
on 1/10/12 11:40 pm
VSG on 02/21/12

Hello OH fam,
I am a little concerned. I have Medica-UHC as my insurance through work. They require a 6 month supervised weight management so I went for it but the clinic sent me the bill from my Nut appointments because the insurance denied the claims(I have done 5 of them, my last one is on friday) . That concerns me because if they dont pay for the nut appts that they require, I am afraid they might deny my VSG. Has this happened to any one before? I havent called Medica-UHC but I wanted to get your insight and have better knowledge on how this works before I do. Please advice. Thank you! 

countrytat
on 1/10/12 11:57 pm - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
CALL YOUR INS. Co.! They are all different, and different work places may have different things that are not covered ...like WLS and Nut's.... Some insurance only covers the Nut if it specifically for diabetes. They will tell you exactly what is covered and what is NOT covered. Good Luck!
Dee60
on 1/11/12 12:07 am
VSG on 02/21/12

I will have to call them for sure. I know they cover WLS for sure but surprised that they didnt cover my NUT appts.  Thanks for your insight! 

Crabadams72
on 1/11/12 12:39 am - Silver Spring, MD
I have UHC and they don't cover my Nut visits either.
Of course each plan w UHC varies.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Dee60
on 1/11/12 12:55 am
VSG on 02/21/12
That sucks since they are the ones that require it! Big whole Insurance companies! what a shame! Thanks for letting me know! 

Vrtualfire
on 1/11/12 12:59 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
What happened to me was that UHC only covers 3 NUT visits for LIFETIME on my plan. I have some premium choice plan (which means this entire surgery will only cost me a 100 dollar deductable).  When I called back in, they told me they do NOT Require 6 months and my doctor had the wrong info.  Sure enoug after a few calls and asking the doctor to check under my NAME not under blanket pre authorization, I got the ok a week later and am getting my sleeve 3 months earlier than originally planned.  

I suggest you check into it.  Premium Choice Plus is what I have.  

Dee60
on 1/11/12 10:55 am
VSG on 02/21/12
 I finally called them after my post and they said my clinic submitted the claim as a routine nut visit instead of stating that it's for my bariatric surgery. I had to call the clinic back n we are having them resubmit to UHC. Hopefully they will get their acts together. 

KSqtpie
on 1/11/12 1:49 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
I have UHC too. My plan does not cover NUT visits for weight loss reasons, but your NUT can submit it for other health issues you may have. Mine it for insulin resistance and it got covered. The visits should still be covered for your diet plan, you will just have to pay for them. Good luck! I am worried about not getting approved because there is a gap in my 5 yr medical history.
katier825
on 1/11/12 2:18 am
On January 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM Pacific Time, KSqtpie wrote:
I have UHC too. My plan does not cover NUT visits for weight loss reasons, but your NUT can submit it for other health issues you may have. Mine it for insulin resistance and it got covered. The visits should still be covered for your diet plan, you will just have to pay for them. Good luck! I am worried about not getting approved because there is a gap in my 5 yr medical history.
OT a bit, but you might not have to worry about a gap in the 5 year history.  My hubby was going to have the sleeve with me, and he had gaps in his...the insurance coordinator said she didn't think it would be a problem - it went back at least 5 years, but not every year in between.  We also have UHC.  We just had the 6 month monitoring, NUT and Psych Eval requirements to meet.   He ended up losing a lot of weight on his own and didn't qualify for the surgery (I think he regrets it sometimes after seeing how well I did with it).  I'm sure it varies by company, but I just wanted to give you some hope!
KSqtpie
on 1/11/12 6:28 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Thank you. This does put my mind at ease. I kind of gave up on taking care of myself for a period of time, so that's what caused the gap. I am a pretty healthy person besides the PCOS. I am afraid they will find something to deny this surgery because I am barely over the min BMI. This gives me hope though
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 159 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 452 views