Lactose intolerance?

Stacie B.
on 1/17/12 2:46 am - Charlotte, NC
 Today I was drinking my protein shake made with milk as usual when I have very bad stomach pains. I went to the bathroom and was there for quite a while if you know what I mean.  I am afraid that I am becoming lactose intolerant. This has happened only a couple times before surgery while I was eating cereal w/milk. And has never happened when I eat other dairy products.

Has anyone ever had an decreased tolerance to milk after surgery? I am afraid that it will get worse and I won't be able to eat cheese!  (God forbid!) Not to mention the other dairy products I love! 
HW: 210 SW: 193 GW:120 Ht:5'0" Age: 36

AButterfly
on 1/17/12 2:59 am
 The bad news is that I became lactose intolerant after the surgery... the good news is that I still eat cheese and it doesnt make me sick... I have learned to love soy milk and now it really isnt an issue for me... but I do miss ice scream sometimes... (which i totally shouldnt be eating.. lol) so it is quite possible for you to become lactose after the VSG... Its not so bad though... now, if I couldnt eat cheese.... 
"Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over... it became A Butterfly"     5'8

SW: 250lbs.. GW: 140.. Goal in 9 months.. LW: 114lbs.. CW: 130lbs.. New GW: 120lbs..

Stacie B.
on 1/17/12 3:20 am - Charlotte, NC

KB1964
on 1/17/12 3:14 am
Try soy or almond milk and see if you don't get sick. I can eat most forms of dairy but just not milk.
Stacie B.
on 1/17/12 3:16 am - Charlotte, NC
 I can live with not drinking regular milk, if that is all it is. I will try with almond milk for a while. Thanks guys!

VeronicaJ5
on 1/17/12 3:17 am - Albany, NY
DS on 07/05/16
Milk = laxative lol and cheese doesn't have the same effect has to do with it being aged . As far as missing ice cream two words skinny cow!
AButterfly
on 1/18/12 2:38 pm
 yeah? never tried it.. is it lactose free? there is these mini ice cream sandwiches which are made with soy that I love .. but I am not buying them till I loose 5 pounds! lol 
"Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over... it became A Butterfly"     5'8

SW: 250lbs.. GW: 140.. Goal in 9 months.. LW: 114lbs.. CW: 130lbs.. New GW: 120lbs..

Ms Shell
on 1/17/12 3:22 am - Hawthorne, CA
Been lactose intolerant since surgery, eat cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, goat cheese (pretty much haven't found a cheese I couldn't eat) can only eat ice cream in LIMITED quantifties, but that's a good thing.  Have no problem with yogurts that I can tell.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

vocalcoach
on 1/17/12 4:06 am - MD
I was lactose intolerant before surgery!  I drink lactaid milk with my protein.  You may need to switch to a dairy free protein as well.  Don't know which kind you use but Jay Robb egg white protein is AWESOME!  I can eat cheese too!!! 

Haven't had any issues post surgery w/ the whole lactose "thing".
Hope that helps a bit!

Hislady
on 1/17/12 8:34 am - Vancouver, WA
In the same area of the pharmacy aisle that you find GasX strips you will find a wonderful product called Lactaid chewables (nice vanilla flavor) Just chew 1 or 2 of them and eat dairy to your heart's content. I use them all the time even keep them in my purse, they are a life saver!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views