Can your sleeve expand so soon?

Happy966
on 1/17/12 12:35 pm

Sharon, you are getting really good advice.  You are not doing terrible, but you need to take it really easy right now.  It is a good thing that you do not have problems eating, and that you have lost 15 pounds.  But you are probably eating things that will slow your weight loss down.  I was very hungry on mushies and soft foods.  I didn't have good hunger control until I was cleared for all foods and could eat dense protein.  That fills me up and I can do well on 700-750 calories (I am 4-1/2 months out).  I was doing 600-ish early on.

Your stomach isn't growing.  It might be healing and the swelling (if any) is going down. Soft foods go through easily and leave your stomach empty sooner.  My advice would be to cut the carbs way down.  Carbs - especially simple carbs like rice a roni - increase my hunger.  Focus on high protein, low carb foods.  Are you tracking what you eat?  I think you will find that helpful.

You are not obligated to eat anything somebody makes for you, even your husband!  Focus on protein, and trust that your hunger will get better on solid (regular) foods.  I would avoid bread, pasta and rice at a minimum - I think you might find you feel better and less hungry without them.  

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Sharon38
on 1/17/12 10:32 pm - TX
Thank you so much for being so encouraging!
PaulaToronto
on 1/17/12 12:51 pm - Toronto, Canada
Your weight loss is fine.  I ate all the right things and lost 15 pounds in my first month. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

lanunes
on 1/17/12 4:56 pm - CA
 Pretty sure chicken is not a soft food. Are you following your doctors plan for soft foods at 3-4 weeks out? Is rice a roni on the plan? Rice a roni, bean soup ect is full of sodium and carbs. Try and make sure to eat as directed and measure all food intake. I don't eat until the full point I take in my 2 ounces of food and stop at that.....trying to never challenge my sleeve. If you stick to low carb and high protein intake it will cut your craving so that you aren't hungry. Because your getting hungry that is a pretty good indicator that your eating too many carbs.  600-800 cal/day,
      Leslie Nunes              
rhearob
on 1/18/12 12:57 am - TN
 Read Labels, read Labels, Read Labels.  A popular myth is that after surgery you can eat whatever you want and still lose.  The sleeve doesn't do anything magical to make you lose.  It just helps you feel full faster.  

Many items like Weigh****chers, Healthy Choice, Etc. are made for people wanting to lose 10 lbs or so.  Its not really designed for a post bariatric patient where we have to maximize protein and minimize anything thats not protein.  I very carefully manage a calorie to protein ration in what I am eating and try to get it as low as possible.  Anything 7 or over I try to avoid.  I aim for about 140 calories and 20 g of protein per meal.  I am keeping my carbs around 20 g per day.

If you are not keeping a detailed food diary that tracks the nutrition info, start.  Those details will quickly show you where you are going wrong.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views