Best Advice for someone who got a surprise VSG?

PatXYZ
on 1/31/12 12:48 am
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine went in for RNY last week, and due to an unknown congenital defect the doc could not do RNY and did a VSG instead. This was agreed to on the surgical consent, but my friend had no reason to think, at all, that she wouldn't get the RNY.

I'm trying to help her out with some resources and info since the hospital has not been that helpful with the changes, telling her just to do the same thing that had been outlined in the RNY info. So, I'm here to ask you all what is the best advice you'd give to a newly sleeved person, especially things that might be different if you were planning on RNY? I know she is really struggling with nausea and acid reflex, and she is working on that with a PPI and sipping all day.

Thanks everyone!
Paige V.
on 1/31/12 1:00 am - Gainesville, FL
yesI definiitely needed the PPI for about three weeks. Really there is not a whole lot difference in eating or anything from RNY, except we do not have malabsorption so she needs to be really consciencous of food choices (but she would need to do that with any surgery) I think once the shock wears away she will be pleasently suprised with the sleeve. I love mine, and love the fact that I have no malabsorption.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

emelar
on 1/31/12 1:07 am - TX
If she's struggling with nausea and acid, she needs to get her doc to get her some anti-nausea meds and a stronger (or combination of) PPI meds.

Otherwise, most of the RNY rules apply.  For right now, the focus needs to be on staying hydrated and getting in her protein goals.  Then, it's protein first and no drinking before or after meals.  Those are the biggies.

I know it's not what she planned, but she's going to be very happy with her sleeve.
califsleevin
on 1/31/12 1:10 am - CA
The PPI is important, and she may be on them longer - I still use them - but that's another variable between us all. Sipsipsippin water and fluids is pretty common for all of the WLS for a while; many VSG patients are basically on an RNY post-op diet since that's what most surgeons are used to, but it seems that the VSG is more tolerant than the RNY so she may be ready to progress faster than the RNY diet suggests - my doc has us on mushies and soft proteins along with the liquids from the outset and he's being doing sleeves for around twenty years (but doesn't do RNYs anymore). But, in short, she should be just fine on the RNY plan, but she will probably make the other RNY patients in her support groups jealous with her more flexible diet as time goes on!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

SuperRN597
on 1/31/12 2:09 am
I am sorry that your friend did not get what she had her heart set on.  The other posters have given great advise for the issues that you questioned.  I am just going to give some support and do a little cheerleading...

Take it and run like the wind with it.  Embrace this tool and make the best of it.  Look at it in the same way you would look at things if you had gotten the RNY.  You got a tool through WLS and it will give you your life back if you work it.  This is what you need to tell your friend.

I will be happy to answer any questions she may have about plans and things like that if she wants to PM me.  Good luck to her and to you.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

PatXYZ
on 1/31/12 4:20 am
Thank you everyone, this is great. I will find out if she is taking anything for the nausea and pass on your others suggestions and support!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views