Hemp protein?

FatReva
on 1/30/12 9:58 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
I haven't yet had surgery - that'll happen in March, but I'm looking around at various options for getting in protein, since that seems to be the big topic (getting protein and fluids) around the forums.

My favorite breakfast for the past few months has been shelled hemp seeds stirred into low/non-fat yogurt. I imagine that, once I'm in the 'mushies' phase, this can be my breakfast again. In shopping for the hemp seeds online, I've come across a hemp protein plus fiber powder (https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein-plus-fiber/). Is anyone else using this? If so, how are you using it? Can it be added to soups and such the way that unjury protein can be?

Thanks,

Reva

BriarRose
on 1/30/12 11:35 pm
Hmmmm. an interesting thought, though nuts/seeds of any kind are out of the diet for many months due to them getting under the staple line in your new tummy. For me, it was no nuts or seeds for 5 months.

Hemp. interesting concept. Having grown up in the sixties (and I mean the 1960's !) I know from (of course, not personal experience !) that a relative of hemp, when ingested, or smoked can make one very hungry, and can lower ones' level of desire to say "no." (how was that for diplomatic)

I might wonder if hemp bi-products have the possibility of having similiar effects on the desire for empty calories.

I might be disinclined to experiment with that concept, and stick to more mainstream sources of protein.

Of course, just my humble opinion....
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
FatReva
on 1/30/12 11:42 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
There are two forms of hemp: one has the chemical compound that gives folks the munchies (cannibis), the other is used for 'industrial' uses such as making cloth, paper, food, yarn (hemp) (and, btw, if you're a knitter/crafter, hemp yarn is quite awesome). The industrial one doesn't contain the mood and hunger altering compound that cannibis contains. Canada allows certified farmers to grow the industrial hemp plant; the US, with our lovely war on drugs, refuses to see the difference.

Hemp seeds have a complete protein in them, plus all sorts of other good stuff like omega-3s. I've found that when I have breakfast of hemp seeds plus yogurt, I'm often not hungry again until the evening - and that's me, with my complete stomach!

- R

Carmelita
on 1/30/12 11:48 pm - Four Corners, NM
MutteringDuck
on 1/31/12 5:23 am - CT
 i tried hemp protein powder... it actually tastes like bark.  if you're into that, have at it, you'll be in heaven.  me, not so much.  i also don't like whey protein... tastes too gamey to me.  my tastebuds & i are WAY happier with nature's plus energy shake.  their spirutein line is wicked tasty too, but has oodles of carbs.

http://www.naturesplus.com/products/productDetail.asp?criteria=search&searchVar=45901&productnumber=45901&category=24

HW: 291  SW: 276    
novascotiadawn
on 1/31/12 7:42 am, edited 1/30/12 7:45 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Loves the Manitoba Hemp Hearts and their proteins...Hemp Pro70 is one of my favorites!

These were my last hemp protein/heart muffins..

Manitoba Hemp Hearts/ Mini Protein Muffins

1 Egg
3 TBSP milk
2 TBSP vanilla
1/2 banana, mashed
1 TBSP vegetable oil
3 TBSP multigrain pancake mix
3 TBSP Manitoba Hemp Hearts
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop MH protein powder

In a measuring bowl mix egg, milk, vanilla, banana, and oil and mix well. In a different bowl, put in pancake mix, Manitoba Hemp Hearts, cinnamon, MH protein powder. Dry into wet and stir till mixed well. I used a mini muffin Cake Pops muffin baker for 8 minutes! DELISHES!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

fatguy1969
on 1/31/12 12:47 pm, edited 1/31/12 1:01 pm - CA
 I see there is some good feedback already.  I get my hemp seeds, hemp milk, and hemp protein at my local Whole Foods store.  I just purchased some Nutiva Hemp Protein, but haven't used it yet.  The only thing I saw about hemp protein shakes is that they have more calories than the 100% whey proteins I use.  This has to do with the omega 3 & 6 and high fiber content of hemp seed.  However, I do have one suggestion.  I have some Cookies & Cream 100% whey protein call Pro7ein Synthesis from Vitasport.  Mixed with water it is "drinkable".  But mixed with hemp milk, it's really pretty good. Really pretty good makes it the best protein shake mix I have found.  I usually mix about 6 oz of hemp milk and another 2-3 oz of water and 1 scoop of protein, which gives me about 35g of protein. 

My suggestion on hemp milk would be Pacific Natural Foods Hemp Milk. 8 oz serving has 3g Protein, 14g sugars, 1g fiber, 5g fat.   If you have a good juicer you can make your own hemp milk. Just soak the seeds in water for a little bit, then pour it into your juicer. 

I really like your idea about low fat yogurt and hemp seeds.  That sounds amazing. I'm about 6 week out.  And this sound like it will hit the spot. 

My future experiment is to make some snack bars with hemp seed, pumpkin seed, almonds and held together with some agave syrup and honey. 

FatReva
on 2/1/12 1:29 am - NJ
VSG on 03/27/12
For 'granola' bars, I've heard that a great 'glue' for them is pureed dates - which also adds fiber.

I'll definitely check Whole Foods for Pacific Natural's Hemp Milk.

Also, the recipe above looks amazing! Thanks for that!

Reva

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views