BMI of 31??

masstastic
on 1/31/12 4:29 am
Okay, I originally posted this on the lightweights forum, but I want to know y'all thoughts on it.

Hi everyone! I was sleeved a little over a month ago, and my mom, who has also struggled with her weight her whole life is now considering WLS.

My question is, she is 5'4" and has a BMI of 31. Has anyone else had WLS at this size? I guess because I'm sooo overweight and it took me to get to 280 to finally decide on surgery, I feel like she's jumping into this even though I know she's been considering it for years.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/12 4:38 am
VSG on 01/25/07 with
Quite honestly, sanity ponders how many times a person has to lose the 60 or 70 pounds, only to gain them again (with friends), is the qualifying number for "right for surgery," you know?

While some folks waited to be morbidly obese, super morbidly obese, et cetera, before they could/would justify it to themselves or maybe even  others (granted, monetary issues may well play a large part) a large part of me wonders wouldn't it have been nice to not have had to lose those 60 pounds eleventy seven times, before they became 100 pounds, 150 pounds, 200 pounds?

Absolutely there are light weights here who will be glad to share with you, I am sure of it.

Good luck to you on your journey.

JoB
edelu
on 1/31/12 4:39 am - los angeles, CA
I was 5'4 188lbs.  I'd struggled with my weight for decades and could never maintain a weight despite endless dieting.  i say if she can get it, (because it ain't easy with a bmi of 31) to go for it.  She's clearly spent a lot of time being unhappy with her weight and she is not getting any younger.  I notice on these boards that age is a huge factor for some.  like it's now or never type of thing.  I just know feeling like you have some control over your weight is priceless. She should experience it if she wants to.
pedirn06
on 1/31/12 5:26 am
VSG on 01/26/12
I had VSG with BMI of 36.  My motive is not as much directed toward weight loss as it is toward being healthier.  I don't care if I never weigh 130 lbs.  lol I just do not want to have unnecessary health issues because of obesity.  Since surgery, I have not taken metformin and by BS are perfect.  I feel so much better.  Cannot believe I can live on such few calories and function much less feel better than when I consumed 2000+ calories each day.
denebbers
on 1/31/12 5:41 am - Townsend, MA
VSG on 10/13/11 with
my sleeve sister had a BMI of 32 and is loosing amazingly. i started off with 35
Georgie Mayhem
on 1/31/12 7:39 am - New Zealand
My friend had bmi of 30 and has done great, hers was the lapband however.
If this is something your mum has thought about for years then tell her to go for it, sh'e obviously been unhappy about her size for quite somtime.
Good luck to you both, it would be great to share your journies together.

kbl
on 1/31/12 7:42 am - Vail, AZ
My BMI was 31 on the day of surgery. I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to have the sleeve. There was not one moment that I have regretted having the surgery. I achieved my personal goal weight in 10 months. My current BMI is 22.3. So I would say for your mom to go for it.

masstastic
on 1/31/12 7:53 am
 Thanks so much for your responses and encouragement. It will be nice to share the journey. She went in for an appointment today and my surgeon said he would do it for her! They also said it is very common for family members together WLS after watching someone go through it. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views