need some advise on full liquids post-op

diane S.
on 2/7/12 12:06 pm
not enough protein can result in hunger. you should get 70 g per day. pretty much impossible without protein drinks made for barriatric patients. get some. some are premixed for convenience if  you run around all day.  i hear starbucks has a protein coffee drink though i haven't tried it.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

diane S.
on 2/7/12 12:07 pm
p.s. dump the cream of wheat. for some people, carbs just make us hungrier.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

SouthernmostStar
on 2/7/12 12:29 pm
VSG on 01/25/12
It definitely doesn't sound like you're consuming enough!  Get the protein shakes in!  Today I mixed in some of the greek yogurt into my tomato soup which added protein value to that, too.

The dietitian at the hospital wasn't a fan of cream of wheat.  I ate it pre-op but now post-op and mixed with lots of milk it just feels like it slides right through. 

Have you tried mixing any protein into your water?  I tried the new Whey protein "shots" from CVS that they keep advertising here on the forums.  Although the flavor was a little strong straight from the vial, I liked it more when I mixed it with juice or water.

Good luck!
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

tazman74
on 2/7/12 12:29 pm - lakeville, MN
VSG on 01/31/12
Thank you all for the info I will be using all of it and I know I need more protein in my diet. I have a list of approved kinds of items I can eat and they said no to Greek yogurt or anything with clumps that can not be strained.
doggz109
on 2/7/12 12:55 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Hmmm....interesting.  I've never had greek yogurt that had clumps in it.  I'd never advise to go against your docs recommendations but that seems strange.  Greek yogurt is very smooth.
Vrtualfire
on 2/7/12 1:49 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
That is weird Taz cuz it is my yellow binder for full liquids.  You should double check, you just cant have the fruit in it.  I know I had the chobani pineapple and gave the tiny pineapple chunks to my westie. She was so happy.  Check out the pages in the back where they have the sample diets. 

Happy966
on 2/7/12 9:23 pm

I only know what worked for me.  I drank 3 protein supplements a day.  I was lucky and didn't have any problems drinking liquids (not very swollen I guess).  I had a Nectar fruity drink in the morning (mixed in 8 oz or water and more-or-less forced down, not my favorite), an Unjury Chicken Soup sometime during the day, and an unflavored protein in another soup - usually tomato and red pepper in a box, thinned with vegetable broth.  I was very, very determined to get in 60+ g of protein from the get-go.  I did not eat carby stuff ever during this period.  I was afraid it would make me hungry.

We were told not to eat more than X ounces at a time (and I think it was way too high, like 4 ounces), BUT this didn't apply to liquids, especially if they were passing easily through our tummies.  So I regularly drank 8 oz or liquids at a time.  Only a few things seemed to shut my pyloric valve, like protein hot chocolate.  It still does - not sure why but I have to drink it sloooowly. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 160 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 432 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 455 views