need some advise on full liquids post-op

tazman74
on 2/7/12 9:35 am - lakeville, MN
VSG on 01/31/12
I have just started the post-op full liquids and I have had some tomato soup, maby 1 yogurt (2 sittings and not the whole thing) and some cream of wheat, lots of water and I am still hungry am I just being paranoid to eat to much.

any advice.
I did not measure everything I had to eat on the run ( not good I know)

traciez
on 2/7/12 9:44 am - OK
VSG on 01/17/12
 i would get thick soups like the campbells chunky soup and just strain all the chunks out of it and eat the juice... it is thicker and helped keep me full longer... dunno if this is a good thing or not but a few times i even melted velveeta with milk and ate it like a soup cuz its really thick!  hope this helps! 
             Tracie
~*Lifes a garden, dig it*~

doggz109
on 2/7/12 9:48 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Well.....you seem to have already realized what I was going to say.  You truly need to measure everything and TRACK it....it really helps to be accountable.

The other thing is....where is your protein?  Other than the yogurt (hope it was greek) there is very little protein.  Did you have shakes in between meals to boost that up?  Aim for 60g a day.  I am 4 weeks out and starting mushies and usually getting between 70-90g a day.

Finally - great job on lots of water!  That is super important.

As far as the hunger goes.....I really have no advice for you because I have yet to feel any real physical hunger.  I deal with head hunger EVERY SINGLE DAY....but that is a mental game.  It's not real hunger.  The more protein you get....the less physical hunger you should feel....if that is what it is for you.

So start measuring, prep meals in advance so you can grab them on the go, and get more protein.  You are doing well!!!
Chanciekd
on 2/7/12 11:39 am - MS
VSG on 01/23/12
Dog - what are mushies?

I am 3 weeks out and drinking protein drinks and broth or strained soup w/protein added.
I am like you, dealing with head hunger a lot!  It is crazy!!!

I am just curious about mushies!
doggz109
on 2/7/12 12:00 pm, edited 2/7/12 12:00 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I had to do 3 weeks full liquids.  The next 3 weeks are soft food/mushies as tolerated.  I am trying to introduce one "new" food per day so if I have an intolerance I can tell what it is.

Mushies can be considered anything "soft" or can be pureed.  Things like tuna, egg, or chicken salad made in the food processor.  Soft scrambled or poached egg.  Cream soups with protein mixed in.  Low fat refried beans.  Very soft pieces of fish, seafood, etc (I had a very small portion tonight of lobster bisque that was very good).  Cottage and/or ricotta cheese. 

I got some Laughing Cow cheese today and am going to try it tomorrow.  I was experiencing some lactose intolerance when mixing my protein shakes with milk.  I'm curious to see if I still have the same reaction to cheese.

Things like that.
Vrtualfire
on 2/7/12 12:04 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
Doggz,

I have found that the babybel small cheeses worked really well for me too.  There are many different flavors and they are softish and yummy.

Tazman,

One thing that I also had was the fat free sugar free chocolate fudge bars from dairy queen. They are like 7.99 for 6 but only 50 calories and 4 grams of protein.  For a snack it was a nice treat.  

Chanciekd
on 2/7/12 12:55 pm - MS
VSG on 01/23/12

Thanks - that helps a lot!   
BarefootLawyer
on 2/7/12 10:09 am
VSG on 01/30/12
 When I get hungry at the end of the day, real hunger not head hunger, I drink broth with protein added or drink a protein shake.
HW: 307.2. SW:   GW: 190

hollykim
on 2/7/12 11:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You need to eat way more than that in a day on full liquids. You can drink  flull liquids unlimited like you did clear liquids. This is why you are hungry.

Drink all of the things on your full liquid plan as much as you can tolerate. It basically runs right thru,that is why it is used early post op.

Protein shaakes are also included in full liqs and should helptoo. all full liqs are also included in you 64 + oz of fluid a day.

it is possible that your body is still producing some ghrelin making you feel hungry.Are you taking a PPI like Nexium? excess acid can also mimic hunger.

Vrtualfire
on 2/7/12 12:02 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
I loved the chobani greek yogurts. Half a yogurt at a sitting is a meal for me.  Small curd cottage cheese was a life saver too. Breakstones sells little 4 oz snack size packs in a package of 4 and half of one of those was also a meal for me. I have hated cottage cheese for 41 years but OMG it was so good!

I have the unjury chicken soup protein which was okay, but unlike most, I didnt like that it had to be room temparature (sort of) or it clumps.  I have a bunch left if you want to have it (we live near one another as I am in Shakopee).  Also, during full liquids I religiously drank a carnation essentials instant breakfast with a scoop of unflavored protein powder in the morning.  It was a big boost of protein.

I think you probably just experiencing head hunger also. You and I talk a lot, and I know you are gonna do what it takes to succeed. So measure, plan it out, and get that protein in! 

:) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views