Saw my NUT today and a bit saddened

Vrtualfire
on 2/10/12 11:03 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
So, I am 1 month out almost.  Including pre-op weight from my ten day liquid diet, I am down 36 lbs, about 25 since surgery.  I have really struggled with my protein intake because I have a really hard time with the protein shakes.

I have been tracking everything at myfitnesspal.com and I am always between 6-800 cals, I am below 40 carbs and I almost always get my protein in (65g).  However my NUT doesnt like that I only drink water between meals and will have a small laughing cow babybel cheese or string cheese as a snack at times.  That or these SF popsicles DQ sells with 5g protein in them.  She says I HAVE to get my extra protein (she estimates 30g) from either plain non fat milk (which I also seem to have an aversion to) or protein shakes.  

I am kind of discouraged because I was chastised for not following their plan (by having the cheese mid morningish).  blah.

USAF Wife
on 2/10/12 11:20 am
I'm always a big advocate for following the plan/program set forth by the surgeon/nuts, BUT I also have said that guidelines are just that guidelines because WLS isn't as cookie cutter for every patient even though I followed a very cookie cutter plan, it was altered to fit my needs. I couldn't tolerate protein drinks so we catered the guideline. I ate 4 meals per day with each meal consisting of 15gr of protein that gave me my protein goal and kept my carbs low. Our original guideline is 3 meals per day with 2 protein shakes, well I couldn't do it so I followed something else with my surgeon's approval. You could very well be developing lactose intolerance. I had and still have it for milk, but can eat cheese, greek and regular yogurt. I drink Almond milk for calcium.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. It sounds like you are listening to your body, and doing what is working for you. You would totally go way over on carbs if she wants you to get 30grams of protein from nonfat milk. 12grams of carbs and ONLY 9 grams of protein per cup of nonfat milk, you'd need a little more than 3 cups per day and that's practically your entire daily allotment for carbs. I know there is some low carb milk out there, but I haven't ventured into it. It's just not my thing to sit and drink milk.

Stay positive!!!

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Otterwench
on 2/10/12 11:22 am - Camano Island, WA
 Experiment with some different protein shakes.  I just recently discovered (thanks to the chatter on here) the Syntrax Nectar.  I bought a sample pack to see which ones I might like before buying in bulk, and out of the 10 flavors they sent me, I'm probably going to order 4.  They aren't so heavy as some of the others I've tried and they're very tasty.

I agree with your NUT in that you need to shoot for 90 to 100 gms. of protein if possible.  You'll find you'll have more energy and just feel better overall witha little more protein than what you're getting now.  Every doc/NUT has their own program.  My doc says NO MILK at all, ever, forever!  If I want milk, it will be soy milk from here on out.  So the milk thing was interesting to me.  

You will also find that once you get on soft foods and real foods eventually, it will be much easier to up your protein.  Eggs, beef jerky, sandwich meats, etc., are all almost straight protein, and cheeses of all kinds, plus yogurt and tofu.  Lots of variety in the proteins.

I'm sorry you feel chastised!  They should have been praising you for your good work and your great weight loss!  That is a really good start for one month out!!

Hang in there and do what they say, if you can, and don't be discouraged!  You're doing great!!

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

Vrtualfire
on 2/10/12 2:09 pm, edited 2/10/12 2:09 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
Thanks guys, and just to clarify to Otterwench, the NUT wants 30 of my 65g of protein to come from shakes or milk.  She did not ask me to up it to 90.

It is so odd, they dont seem to care about calories or carbs, just a protein goal and water.  As was mentioned otherwise. 

pedirn06
on 2/10/12 11:25 am, edited 2/10/12 11:27 am
VSG on 01/26/12
wondering what the rationale is behind the milk and protein shakes they want you to have if you are getting in 65Gm protein most days.......... My thought is that even nonfat milk has sugar - about 8gm per 8oz.  Are you taking your calcium supplements? 

Every NUT is different.  For what it is worth, my NUT says after you start regular diet (which is 2wks post op and as tolerated) - do not drink your calories - try to get your protein from foods and not shakes.  I would be interrested to know the rationale behind your NUT's nutrition plan for you..  Please share if you find out.

My protein goal is 60gm/day, sugar 15gm/day, carb
pedirn06

Anne D.
on 2/10/12 11:29 am
You just need to find a protein shake you like. It was hard for me until I found the premier protein at Costco.

redsnapper1975
on 2/10/12 12:36 pm
I've had this same problem (same surgeon/program.)  Their rationale is that snacking is what got most of us obese and they prefer liquids only between meals.  That said, the nurse at my 4 month appt said I was at a stage where I could add a dairy snack in leu of the milk (yougurt/cheese) which I did because the milk was so high carb and inconvenient.  But seriously, the NUTS seem to think  we'll be drinking 3 glasses of milk a day FOREVER and said she didn't know why the nurse would have said that...  All that milk's just not going to happen for me.  Cheese and Chobani are not triggers or grazing foods for me, so it's not been an issue.  Sadly, I have learned to just shut my mouth, smile and nod at those appts.  They also would not give me a calorie or carb goal, only protein and eating habits.  I've been pleased with all the other aspects of the program, and am having great results despite altering the plan to fit my needs.  You'll have to decide what's best for you and take their advice or leave it.  But, I agree with the poster above- you need to get the protein in- find a shake you like.  Vitamin Shoppe carries the Syntax Nectars- I love all the Sweets and the Latte.

By the way- if you're in the South Metro, come join us for coffee on Saturday mornings- message me for details. 
~ Kim

Vrtualfire
on 2/10/12 2:09 pm - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
I live in Shakopee and would love to meet up! Send you a friend request!  Thanks! 

prevsgcrys
on 2/10/12 1:32 pm - OH
Like Anne D said previously. I only use the Premier Ready to Drink Shake, it is the only one I can actually say I like and have no problems drinking them, They have 30 gms of Protein in 11 ounces. All the others I have tried Unjury, GNC, all make me gag with the smell.. I can not get past the smell. I am almost 2 months out and I drink one almost everyday. They sell them at Costco and Sam's Club.
Sassy B
on 2/10/12 2:25 pm
I am about 70lbs down 4 months out from VSG. My NUT stresses moderation, and has me target 4 perfect days each week, knowing that at least 3 times a week I will eat imperfectly. When she recently read my food journal, she noted that while drinking red wine and eating frozen yogurt for dinner once is ok, it shouldnt be repeated.

Ultimately, it is personal preference. I choose to live with some moderated splurges, and realize that my weight loss isnt as fast as it could be, but that I'm a happy person developing habits that I can actually maintain for life. Works for me, and my NUTs in agreement.

5'9", 31 year-old female pescetarian VSGer!   ///   Surgery by Dr. Steven Clark on 14-Oct-2012.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views