A week off plan and too much weight gain!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 2/11/12 10:29 pm
This week I have had my first weight gain.  I am devestated and wondering if I am now doomed for failure.  This past week was quite different than any other.  The week began with Super Bowl Sunday and the festivites that surround that.  I behaved for the most part, but did have a few crackers.  I also started back at the gym in a hardcore way.  I joined LA Boxing and took a kickboxing and a boxing class.  I couldn't move for days after each of them, but it was a good pain.  By going back to the gym that hard my appetite increased.  So, I ate 1/2 cliff bar after each session and increased my protein intake.  My birthday was this week (Thursday) so I did have a cupcake and ate at the hibachi.  While at the hibachi I had sushi and fish, no rice or pasta.  I think my sodium intake was surely higher than normal though.  I also had two mixed drinks between Thursday and Friday...margaritas.  Please note this past week is not the norm for me at all, but I was celbrating and kept the celbration to a minimum.  I'm back on course as of this morning with my packed lunch, high protein options, and my shake for breakfast.  BTW my TOM is due any day now, so I could be retaining fluid as well.  According to the scale I have a 5lb gain from last Sunday.  I'm just wondering if anyone else gained weight in a week and if returning back to my plan will correct the scale.  If you are feeling like you want to post just to bash me, I would rather you didn't.  Thank you kindly.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Happy966
on 2/11/12 10:57 pm

I have experienced some wild fluctuations in weight.  For me, that voice that says "you are doomed for failure" is just my addiction trying to get me to eat. 

What I am learning is that the measure of my success is not in my failures, but in my persistance to getting back up and trudging forward.  Because it is a long, long journey.  A bad day or a bad week does not doom me to failure.  But spiraling into despair and getting caught up in the food again *will.*  And the more bad days I have, the more I am tempting my disease.  I'm pretty weak, and listening to that voice that tells me to give up and let food fix my problems will *kill* me.

Fear can be useful because it helps remind me of the stakes here.  I usually find that, for me, a period of compulsive eating is preceeded by a series of smaller wanderings off the reservation, and some bad thinking.  I would consider ditching the protein bars, crackers and alcohol for a little bit and get back on firmer footing with your food plan.  I usually find my mood lifts and my confidence soars after a few days of clean eating.

You can do it!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

ready2Bhealthy2
on 2/11/12 11:07 pm
Thank you so much.  I actually got goose bumps reading your reply.  Yes I am ditching the "extras" I had this past week.  I will have to find a way to give me the extra energy I need to get through the grueling hour of kickboxing and boxing classes, but I can't have another repeat of this week.  Thanks for the inspirational words and letting me know I'm not alone.

T
Happy966
on 2/11/12 11:28 pm

Everything I'm saying was told to me first by other people sharing their journey with me, and is what I have to tell myself every day.  You are *not* alone.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

KathyA999
on 2/12/12 5:59 am
Happy, thanks for paying it forward.  You've posted before about the great wisdom and "how to do life" that we learn in OA, which has been invaluable to me as well.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Phatchick
on 2/11/12 11:18 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
WOW. Amazing advice! A simple way to say something that is so complicated. Your words are worth saving. Best, Sharon

tripmom02
on 2/12/12 1:01 am - NJ

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Jackie00
on 2/11/12 11:00 pm
What I find weird about this, you know we had this surgery, we are not eating anywhere near the amount that we did before and we gain lol I found over the xmas holidays I was up one or two pounds, lost them then hit a 3 week stall grrr. It is frustrating but I am sure if you hit the water and protein only you will see that weight fall off fast. TOM usually puts me into a stall for the week before and sometimes it will last the two weeks, this has been my trend and nothing I can do about it. I tried pumping up the water during this time and still nothing. I have been working out pretty hard for two weeks and didnt lose a thing, when I stopped the gym for a few days my weight loss fell off 5 lbs in 3 days. So weird all I can say it must be building muscle because the inches are still happening so I try and pay more attention to the inches and the way my belt and clothes fit. I brought my belt probably at 2 months post op was on the first hole, now on the fifth hole so even though I am not losing much weight that belt is telling me that I am losing inches. Also, I brought my daughter a couple pairs of jeans while I had my surgery in Mexico, one pair was a bit big on her and I thought I would just try them on again last week, and they fit!!! They are tight but I can now wear them and grow into them lol. I am getting so close to the size of jeans my daughter wears but not near her weight.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

ready2Bhealthy2
on 2/11/12 11:10 pm
Thanks for your words of encouragement.  I just bought a belt and am on the first hole...I don't wear it too much because I think it looks silly, but I can't wait to tuck in my shirt and show it off when it really starts fitting me.  Thanks!
Jackie00
on 2/11/12 11:35 pm
I never tucked my shirts in, never wore belts. I have shown a few people how it is holding up my pants lol, if I didnt have the belt on my pants would be on the ground I think. I dont plan on changing my wardrobe much until I get down a bit further so a belt will have to do for the winter anyways. I cant wait to throw up my winter coat, it is so big on me now but there is no way I am buying a new one until next winter.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 236 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views