Two Really Cool Activities To Turbocharge Weightloss / Muscletone / Flexability

svelteNgorgeous
on 2/11/12 12:38 pm
I've had zero experience with either of these phycical activities prior to my VSG. Since then however I've been alert to discover new and effective ways to reach my personal health objectives.

I was committed to a permanent lifestyle change when I made the decision to have VSG. The very first time I saw my surgeon (Dr. Edward Yatco - much love) after my surgery, I was walking the hospital floor (still IV'd and pushing the IV thingy (not a medical term)).

A little background about me: I've had intermittment bouts of athletic achievement in between periods of overeating / drinking and sedentary living. I did, as you should, consult my primary care physician and was cleared before engaging in strenuous physical activity.

So, let's get busy...here's what is working for me and what I know without any doubt will work for you also, if you commit to it.

1) Kettlebell / Bodyweight Exercises

A kettlebell is an iron weight shaped like a cannonball with a handle. Extreme caution must be exercised to learn and adhere to proper form in executing these movements. The hardstyle ketlebell swing, snatch and goblet squat are the fundimental movements. Begin slowly, carefully and very light and progress as your body will allow. I've found this site to be the best online kettlebell resource: http://www.dragondoor.com/

The other movements I engage on a regular basis are the pull-up and dip. When I began I was unable to do even one repition of either of these exercises under my body weight without assistance. I therefore used machine assistance (props to my local Planet Fitness - the best $10/mo gym I've ever used). The machine provides counterweight to body weight allowing me to maintain proper form and develop the strength necessary to perform the movements unassisted.

I presently practice these two simple series of exercises 3-5 X / week.

Please note, I had lost 100+ lbs before beginning this routine and had been exercising regularly since my VSG.

2) Bikram Yoga

WOW, what a great find this has been. I had never done Bikram Yoga before and have only had  three sessions as of the time of this writing. I loved it from the first time I did it. Bikram Yoga is 90 mins of yoga in a 100+ degree sauna. So amazing I have not yet fully experienced all the great benefits of this discipline.

You can accomplish much more than you think you can. Begin creating your new life NOW!

Best wishes for your amazing future.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

kahlana
on 2/11/12 1:35 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
I'm really considering getting a set of kettle bells to use at home but wasn't sure if they would be helpful or if I would have to be seriously graceful (I am not) to use them. Thanks for the advice I will probably pick them up Sunday

My Blog My Facebook

Nanns_Journey
on 2/11/12 4:54 pm
Thanks for the post.  I 'm going to look into the kettlebell, the resource for it that you cited, Planet Fitness, and the Bikram Yoga.

~Nann

1st Goal 350 

Goal2 299 Goal#3 271 Goal#4 250 Goal#5 225 Goal#6 199  Goal#7 149 

VSG/Dec 7,  2011   5'3"  Female,  HW 399,  SW 371    Target Goal 135 lbs/BMI 23.9
Dec M1-23  Jan M2-15  Feb M3-11  Mar M4-13  Apr M5-13  May M6-15  Jun M7-??  Jul M8-??
Aug M9-??  Sep M10-??  Oct M11-??  Nov M12-??  Dec M1-??  Jan M2-??  Feb M3-??

Phatchick
on 2/11/12 9:24 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
Hi!

Congrats on finding your new way of life. That really is the secret after surgery isn't it? We have to find the tools that keep us motivated, the activites that make us happy and committed. It sounds like you have found the answers for you. I pray everyone here can do this, me included.

I have heard so much about Bikram Yoga. I hate being hot, but if they find a yoga to do in the snow I'm all over it.

Best,

Sharon
countrytat
on 2/11/12 10:39 pm - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
Kettlebell and body weight exercizes are probobly one of the best exercizes you can do...ever. Another good site to check out for this type of exercize is Yunfitness.com    He gives you pointers and you can go on you tube and watch his videos.

SouthernmostStar
on 2/12/12 2:59 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Interesting suggestions and you're so right about creating our new lives now.  I didn't want to "wait until I lost weight" to start being more active.  I don't know if I'm ready to try yoga right now, but I did water aerobics twice last week and yesterday get involved in Tai Chi again.  I have a small pool at home that isn't heated, but once the weather warms up a bit more here in Florida, I'll be able to go in and exercise every evening after work and do Tai Chi class twice a week. 

As the weight comes off, my ability to walk greater distances will return which will be good for me AND my dogs!

My sister-in-law has also recommended spinning classes.  I'll look into those in the future, too.

Oh, I just realized something!  With the weight loss that I've already achieved, I can now use my Wii Fit system!  (I was too heavy for the pad thingy before.)   I'm going to check it out right now.

Thanks for the inspiring post!
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views