Need advice

kalamon5
on 2/12/12 1:31 am - TN
VSG on 02/06/12
I'm about 6 days post op and have not been able to tolerate any protein.  I bought some unflavored protein yesterday.  I need suggetions on what to mix it in??
weighless
on 2/12/12 1:39 am - OH
VSG on 01/11/12
 Do you have a Costco nearby?  They sell Premier nutrition shake that are pre- made, no mixing and. They. Taste  fantastic.  11 oz and 30 g protein..  I've tried every protein and this is by far the best 
Janie
  54 yr. female 5'7" / HW 283 / Consult W 253 / SW 240.5 / CW 167  
Month 1:  Lost 20 pounds
Month 2:  Lost 11 pounds
Month 3  Lost 18 pounds
kalamon5
on 2/12/12 1:45 am - TN
VSG on 02/06/12
I bought some, but i'm still in the clear liquid stage.  Are they ok during this stage?
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/12 1:50 am
When I was on clear liquids I had a choice of ISOPURE or Nectar powders. Those are both clear. Once I got to full liquids I could drink any of the ready to drink or powdered proteins. You can order Nectar online at syntrax.com. Isopure is available at GNC. 

Not sure how long your clear liquid stage is, but at 6  days out you should start to really get some protein in.
ThinVoyage
on 2/12/12 2:07 am - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Yes, I was drinking one Isopure and one Premier proteins when I was in liquid stage.  Have your surgeon provided you with a list of allowable and recommended protein drinks while you are on liquid stage?

Good luck!

HW - 390; SW - 308; CW - 215               
Otterwench
on 2/12/12 1:54 am - Camano Island, WA
 The way my doc explained it to me was that the clear liquids stage was for everything except the protein shake.  Every program is a bit different, but that first week out there were NO protein drinks, ONLY clear liquids.  On day 7 I started three weeks of clear liquids WITH protein shakes.

The Syntrax Nectar is another really tasty protein shake.  It is important to find one you like because they are going to be a part of your life for a long time! 

Good luck to you!  You're starting on a life-changing adventure that you won't regret!

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/12 2:01 am
 I would mix your unflavored protein with juice/water mix.  If you want to try something warm like broth just be sure to not heat it above 130 because then it becomes a clumpy icky mess.

My advice is to get samples.  If you need something now try Vitamin Shoppe.  I think they have some Nectar samples.  Otherwise try a sample pack from an online vendor so you can just get one of each and see what you like.

Personally the Nectar proteins are too sweet for me.  The only ones I can tolerate are Fuzzy Navel, Blue Sky, and Carribean Cooler.  A lot of people here like the Nectar Sweets but I can't stand them.
Pooch2
on 2/12/12 2:27 am
My surgeons program was for 45-60 grams of protein starting day 3 or 4 after surgery, he kept us in the hospital for 3 days, so the day after you get home.   I'm another one that like and use the Premier Protein shakes at 11.5 oz and 30 grams of protein to start my day....first one took an hour to get down, within a few days it got much easier.   (actually I drank a few ounces of pure Aloe Vera Juice (no sugar in it, from Costco Pharmacy, over the counter, everyone says Aloe Vera helps heal cuts and stuff, made sense to me)   I was drinking another half of whole Premier later in the day and or some protein shots in crystal lite.

At the two week mark (stage 4 in his plan) I could add eggs and cottage cheese.   (so all liquid during that first two weeks)   With cottage cheese it got so easy to make the protein marks...but I still have one Premier in the morning, its a great ratio of protein to calories to carbs ratio in that drink!!  I started adding half a cup of Kefir to my morning Premier shake for gut health, tastes better to me too but I can drink it plane just as well.  

I also found it helpful to use the vials of "Super Protein Shot"s from "Body Fortress" that I buy in 6 packs at Walmart, they are 26 grs of protein and fruit punch flavored. I do not really care for the taste of the shot but if you can tolerate Crystal Light; I mix up some fruit punch Crystal Light in about 32 ounces of water and dump a protein shot vial in and drink it through out the day. (getting water and protein) 120 cal, 0 carbs, 26 grs protein, the protein is a combo of all three types and I have since learned the collagen part cannot be counted but the rest can and your getting your water at the same time....  (not really using those much now that I can have fish and lunch meat but for the first two weeks water and protein, just made sense to me....  (maybe there are better protein shots for crystal lite, not sure)  Get your water in, for sure and then do your best to hit your plans protein requirements.....  Best Wishes....
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
ruggie
on 2/12/12 3:24 am - Sacramento, CA
Define "tolerate".

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

kalamon5
on 2/12/12 5:47 am - TN
VSG on 02/06/12
The Nectar AND Isopure make me gag and throw up.  The surgeon told me to worry about hydration 1st and protein 2nd.  I called the NUT and she told me to try the J Robb protein.  But the surgeon said the worst thing with the surgery is to have the wretching motion on your stomach so i'm afraid to keep trying.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views