One week to go... tired of people trying to talk me out of it!

LISA C.
on 2/14/12 8:11 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
I am scheduled for surgery one week from tomorrow and am SO excited. Yes, I'm nervous and a bit scared too, but mostly excited because I know - I KNOW - that the sleeve is the tool that will help me lose weight and keep it off. I have researched this decision so much and feel as prepared as I can be.

What is making me crazy is that people keep trying to talk me out of it.  My husband is supportive.  My parents and grandmom don't say much but I know they are worried.  My friends and co-workers, and even the nurse practitioner at my gp's practice have all tried to talk me out of it.  I'm tired of defending my decision and offended that they think they know what's better for me.  THey act like I am taking the easy way out, and one even said "just stop eating."  Gee... thanks for that pearl of wisdom. Ugh!

Thank God for my husband and this forum!
robinmarie1959
on 2/14/12 8:26 am - Canada
 good luck with your surgery I had mine dec 14 2011 and i dont regret anything at all the first couple of days you will be sore but you will get over it . It is worth it at the end i have taken off 62 lbs so far and i feel great
JEWEL6363
on 2/14/12 8:48 am
I'm waiting for my approval .... I'm having some of the same issue... my parents are Not happy ....all they hear i the bad and say you can do it if you go to the gym and eat right.... they don't understand it's not always that easy..  Believe in yourself and what you think!
Good luck & think positive!

btopping
on 2/14/12 8:51 am - OH
This surgery to me was no different than quitting drugs or anyting else. We have a food problem just like some have a drug problem. I bet none of those people wouldn't try to talk a coke addict or a drunk out of getting help. Just tell them that.
MyOwnSunshine
on 2/14/12 8:53 am
Well, at least you only have one more week to listen to their nonsense!  Hang in there. 

Yeah, "just stop eating..."  like no one thought of that before, genius!  LOL
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
kalirose40
on 2/14/12 8:59 am - TX
I say stop telling people because it really is not their business. I was met with a few negative comments therefore I stop telling people. It is sad when people can not support you with a decision. I am at the very beginning of my process to get sleeved. The day I made the decision to see a surgeon I told my sister she was very supportive. I told my mom and a few friends and I was met with negativity. Besides you do not need anything stressing you out before surgery.Take a deep breath and ignore :O)
SouthernmostStar
on 2/14/12 9:31 am
VSG on 01/25/12
You're the only one who can decide if this is the right choice for you.  Just thank the people for their concern and move on.  That they think this is the easy way out just shows that they really don't understand about A) the surgery or B) What it's like to fight food and obesity day in and day out.

It's one thing to be worried about the surgery itself and show concern.  You can't fault people for loving you and being worried since surgery is such a big deal.  I had good friends who were concerned but still supportive.

Making this decision, and committing to the extreme life changes it requires that we make is the furthest thing from easy.

You can do it!

Good luck!
Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Linda M.
on 2/14/12 9:35 am - PA
Don't listen to them...you're doing it for YOU not them.    

They don't have to carry around the weight, you do.
They don't have to feel the burden on your feet, knees, joints - you do.
They do not have to live inside your skin, you do! 

We all will be rooting for you...just 7 more days to go! Yay!

Linda
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel
that you, too, can become great."
 .....   MarkTwain
Tirza T.
on 2/14/12 10:27 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Ugh, I know exactly what you are going through. I actually had my assistant manager say to me 2 days before my surgery. "Oh, you are really going through with it? You should pray because you could die" What kind of junk is that. Another co-worker heard it and got upset and said "if you are so concerned pray for her, don't say something like that right before she is undergoing major surgery." I was kind of glad someone stuck up for me. I received alot of negativity about it. But I also had a lot of supporters. Like others have said this is about you. I am only 4 weeks out and I can verify that this is not the easy way out. This is hard work and it is up to us to stay on the path if we want success and that means overcoming hunger and food temptation. Good luck with everything. When you first wake up from the surgery you may feel like crap but, every day gets better and better and you will be more and more happy about your decision to become healthy.

Female, Height 5'6"
HW&Surgeon Consult Weight: 330 lbs. SW: 294 CW:
RyanJS
on 2/14/12 10:34 pm, edited 2/14/12 10:34 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with
Congrats! You will do great... I'm getting sleeved the day before you on the 21st.

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views