Nerves

Elaine N.
on 2/16/12 9:59 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
 I'm in the qualification stage for possible VSG.  I started the process considering lap band and now seeing the information on VS am thinking it is the way for me.  Awaiting eval report and then will schedule apptmt with Surgeon.  I've been all pumped up and so excited, but now am really beginning to have second thoughts.  Is this pretty much normal?  I'm 51 and have been overweight practically all my life and am currently at my highest ever, 295.  I don't want to see 300 and I know it is going to take something like surgery to help me.  Anyone have encouraging words?
Sara Y.
on 2/16/12 10:37 am - MD
VSG on 01/18/12
First, I wanna say good for you about making this decision. Sometimes its so easy, to not be proactive about our health, some people think by having surgery that we are "taking the easy way", but in fact its just a clean slate to start actually living our lives! The advice my nutritionist gave to me was start eating "mini" meals every 3-4 hours to prep your body for post-op life. Also, exercise even if its just 10 minutes a day, because walking is ESSENTIAL post-surgery. Most importantly, stay strong, it isn't always easy but it is SO worth it! Good luck on your journey :)

loser2be
on 2/16/12 10:52 am - CA
VSG on 03/02/12
Well I haven't had Vs yet but I did have the lap band and next to marrying my first husband it was the worst thing I ever did... Whether you have vs or rny stay away from the band

Jill

LosingLZ
on 2/16/12 11:11 am
Nervous? Very normal! 
I also considered the lap band and decided it was not for me. First of all, I was 50 (now 51) and this needs to be forever. This is not a dress rehearsal!  
My starting BMI was 53. I had been very overweight for over 20 years. I was diabetic (5 shots and three pills a day), with bad knees and blood pressure that was creeping ever higher and sleep apnea. I am off all those meds, knees are much better, am so much healthier in the 8 months since surgery.
I have tried so many things and had little success. This feels different. I am donating clothes as I get too small for them. I have never done that before because I never believed I wouldn't gain it all back (and then some). This is what I needed at this time in my life.
Read as much as you can, research it and you will come to a place that you feel comfortable in your decision.
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Elaine N.
on 2/17/12 9:08 am - Hiddenite, NC
VSG on 06/12/12
 Thank you so much! Our beginnings sound so similar as our ages and BMI are very similar.  I have the knee issues (I've had two arthroscopic surgeries) and on blood pressure meds.  Unless something doesn't work out I will prob. have surgery in early April.  God bless you as you continue your journey, sounds like you are doing GREAT!
CandieHearts
on 2/16/12 12:28 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/17/12
How are you on this journey? The same thing happend to me this week. I left the surgeons office with more questions than answers and now doing more research on the VSG. I wa stoked to do the lap band but my BMI is to high. After reading some Lap Band forums, I've seen people who have had some bad expeiernces with them.
Have you decided what you are going to do?
tamou37
on 2/16/12 6:56 pm - Toronto/Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi there,
I am going through the same but hoping to have the sleeve sometimes by end of Feb. I have posted a topic regarding sleeve and band. here is the link to it http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4483530/self-payer -and-have-the-money-for-sleeve-would-you-still/

Sleeved on 26/02/12 By Doctor Al Taie in Dubai

JuucyOne
on 2/16/12 10:40 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

I've done quite a bit of research about the different surgeries and I've decided on the sleeve. The complication rates of all others, compared to the sleeve, are tremendous. I also visit people's video blogs on Y.Tube. They provide quite a bit of information on what to experience the day of surgery, the days afterwards, etc. There's one in particular that I came across that I think will be most helpful to those of you who are trying to decide between the sleeve and the lap band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUgOps6AC8

I hope this helps and best of luck on your decision!

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views