This is now real to me/some concerns

Linda B.
on 2/18/12 6:08 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Yesterday, I went to the mandatory introduction meeting at Kaiser. They sure have changed a lot since DH went through their options program. I have to call Monday to schedule my classes, 12 weeks, then after all prerequisits are done, get scheduled to see the surgeon. Kaiser no longer uses Pacific Bariatrics or Dr. Suh (unless you get the lap band), just 2 surgeons (Chin &  Fadorka) and St. Bernadine's hospital locally. Not real thrilled about that, Scripps is a much better hospital. According to their website, St B's not willing to let you have someone stay with you. I'm hoping to get that addressed and overruled. It's a long shot, but I'm going to press the issue.  Also worried that the doctors I have to pick from aren't as experienced at VSG as who was available previously. From what I see, they are both well experienced at RNY, but I don't want malabsorbtion, or the loss of my pyloris (spelling?) valve. These changes are an example of what people ay here in SoCal, sometimes Kaiser is really great, sometimes they really stink. Anyone have any thoughts to share?
ThinVoyage
on 2/18/12 7:02 am, edited 2/17/12 7:32 pm - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
Where are you located? I am in Orange County and attended classes last year. Even though Pacific Bariatrics is not advertised, it was still available. I had my surgery at Fountain Valley Regional Hospital. I had a choice to go to Pacific Bariatrics, but instead of having surgery in September, I would have it in November. The waiting time was longer. You will have to talk to you case manager about available hospitals. Orientation for Option class does not give to much information. As I said, you have to ask your case manager.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

HW - 390; SW - 308; CW - 215               
Linda B.
on 2/18/12 8:29 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks for the insight, I may ask if I can go out of the area if I feel that it is needed. I am in the high desert so I am connected to Kaiser Fontana. Knowing that info about communication with the case manager is good to know. It is easy to get "lost" in the Kaiser system.
BriarRose
on 2/18/12 7:14 am
I had my surgery through Kaiser. Start to finish 11 months - from day one of referral from my pcp to surgery. I felt that the program where I am was excellent. The bariatric coordinator was great -- suggest you make fast friends with her/him. Lots of pleases and thank yous, I brought her a tiny plant for her desk for some holiday, sent a card for others...wanted to make sure she knew my name, and that it was a positive thing !!! In my area (Antelope Valley) they can schedule you for a couple outside surgeons, or through a couple kaiser facilities in LA. I chose a surgeon in Ventura,(contract surgeon) based on his extensive experience with lapriscopic surgeries. I was not concerned that he had not done a ton of VSG - most docs a year ago had not; but what impressed me was his experience in different abdominal surgeries, not related to wls, and his extensive experience in RNY. Yes, I had to make other consessions, the hospital was older, and 2 hours away from me. My surgeon insisted I stay in a local hotel for two days after surgery, so I was close by if anything went wrong.

I had no one "with" me. You don't need anyone with you. The nursing staff took good care of me, and frankly, I didn't want anyone around. I was pretty miserable after surgery ! I stayed in a comfort inn after surgery, heated up my broth, sipped my tea, and watched tv, read books, and walked around Ventura. Went back to surgeon, had my drain pulled, and had a friend drive me back home. Yes, I have to take half a day off to go and see him for post op visits, but I'm ok with that.

For me, it was all about finding the most skilled surgeon - and I felt that this guy was the best match for me. I knew I had a hiatial hernia, and that would need repair, and I felt that his experience was what I wanted.

I liked my classes, lost over my 10% in the 5 months between start of class and surgery date. Kaiser did all my pre-op -- and they were very through. psych, EKG, heart stress tests, upper gi, gallbladder ultrasound, chest xray, tons of blood work.... no complaints here.

Good luck. Just be a good advocate for yourself, and know when to insist on something, and when to give in to the process. You have to measure what you can deal with, and what you can't. In the end, it's a great deal. Everything was covered for me !!!

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Linda B.
on 2/18/12 8:38 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks for the help. I looked at your surgeon's info. He has great reviews, I don't think they'll let me go that far away, but I love the Ventura area. I'm sort of close to you, Victor Valley. I am considered the Kaiser Fontana area. I've known people who have had to go to St. B's for other things and did not have good things to say about the staff, that is probably why I'm skeptical about having to go there. Plus I have had some "interesting" experiences with hospitals. Really don't want a repeat. Great advise about how to work with the coordinator. Are you still planning on coming to the SoCal meet up? I'm planning to if I don't get to overwhelmed with my schoolwork. Would really like to meet you & some of the others who have been such a big help to us newbies.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views