How much time off did you take post op?

NanfromSan
on 2/23/12 12:14 am
VSG on 12/09/14
Hello,
I'm new.  My insurance is making me do a 4 month supervised diet in order to be eligible for the sleeve.  So I have begun that now.  I have a long ways to go.  We're looking at a surgery in June if all goes as planned.  I was wondering how much time you took off to heal?
My surgeons says it varies.  I have had a c-section and gallbladder removed and was fine the same day as those surgeries.  Not sure how this compares.  I would love everyone's input.

Nan

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

mjtierra
on 2/23/12 12:22 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12

Good Morning,

I think it all depends on your surgeon. Initially I was told and read that it could be anywhere from 2-6 weeks. I work a desk job and my doctor is having me out 3 weeks minimum. Even though my job is not a pohysical one he said that he recommends that amount of time for you and your body to adjust to your new sipping and eating style. Also there is know way of telling how your body is going to react and handle your surgery until you have it.

I saved up my vacation and sick days until my surgery just in case. Luckily working at a school district my surgery time off is going to include my spring break.

Best of luck to you!

Eileen73
on 2/23/12 12:25 am - NY
VSG on 01/24/12
Hi Nan!  I had my surgery about a month ago.  I was out of the office for just about 2 weeks.  I was able to work from home the 2nd week.  I probably could have gone back to the office the following week but I was glad to have had the additional time to just get used to the eating plan and rest.  Also, I would get tired pretty easily.
Good luck with your pre-op diet.  Believe me June will be here before you know it! :)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Texdawg
on 2/23/12 1:15 am
VSG on 01/17/12
I was out 2 weeks and needed it. It does depend on your job as well. I have a desk job so wasn't bad. I had 3 c sections and my gall bladder removed. This was much harder; however I am much older. So just depends. My surgeon said week to 10 days for desk job. Good luck.
NanfromSan
on 2/23/12 1:28 am
VSG on 12/09/14
My surgeon said that if I was okay with my other surgeries I would probably only be sore with this one.  He recommended a week or two.  He did say some people take much longer and some are back to work in a few days.

I also have a desk job.  I just used most of my leave for maternity leave because I just had a baby 6 months ago.  So I'm trying to save it up again.  I suppose I should hold onto my tax return in case I need more time off without pay.

I like hearing what other people did because it gives you a better guess than what the surgeon says (which is usually a very broad range).

I don't know how much weight I will lose by June, but I hope that the insurance doesn't end up rejecting the request since I'm just at the BMI necessary for approval right now.  If I lose a few pounds I would be under.  The medical claims handler in the office said they wouldn't do that... but things always change.  I'm so anxious, to say the least!

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

CheeseLover
on 2/23/12 1:30 am
VSG on 02/16/12
My doctor required 2 weeks off, but I could have went back to work by day 5.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
Lee ~
on 2/23/12 1:52 am - CA
 I was 59 when I had my surgery.  Surgery on Wednesday, back to work the following Tuesday. I worked from home the first few days, then back to my office.  We all heal differently.  Listen to your body.  I've had friends who were exhasted for weeks afterwards, others were up and shopping a couple days later.

I made sure I could hydrate and move before going back to work.  Day 5 I got in my 64 oz of fluids and walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes so I knew my body was ok.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

hidngat39
on 2/23/12 3:51 am - OK
VSG on 02/14/12

I signed out for 2 weeks. Another Dr seminar I went to nearby had claimed to be 1 week, and I wanted to be out 1 week, so I wasn't happy when my new surgeon insisted on at least 2 weeks.

I am so glad I am out 2 weeks.  Today, I am at 1wk+2days and have been fairly active today with one big exception-I AM POOPED! My followup is on Monday, with return to work on Tuesday, the 28th.  I am glad it is not any sooner, even though I have a desk job.

good luck to you!

HW:253  SW:199  GW: 145

A H.
on 2/23/12 4:20 am
Revision on 02/09/12
I work a desk job and I took 2.5 weeks total including my surgery. I could have gone back to work after 1. I feel normal and don't even need a nap so I'm just tearing through all 4 seasons of Breaking Bad and taking walks. LOL it's been nice.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Mutha24Boyz
on 2/23/12 10:21 am - NY
I took six weeks but could have easily returned in 2-3 weeks.

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 57 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 229 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 305 views