Little Bummed

jtate5
on 2/27/12 1:19 pm - Madison, OH
First visit with surgeon wasn't too bad. Saw and talked to four different people on the team while I was there, a good hour and a half to two hour appointment. Asked which surgery I was interesed in and then of course gave thier opinion. They recommended the "deluxe surgery" as they put it because of my diabetes but Im still not really comfortable with that. Though it looks like I may have a few months to think it over. Insurance wants 6 months documented by my doctor on weight loss atempt. Not sure if he is going to write it up for me with what I have done even though it was not necessarily with this in mind or if I will have to start from scratch. I see him next week and he is supposed to have paperwork ready, he wanted me to lose at least 5 pounds before I saw him again (about a month ago now) and I have six down so he should be happy.
So for now my next step......Have to call and schedule appointment with psychologist next and they are supposed to be setting up an appointment for a sleep study.
melz1974
on 2/27/12 3:00 pm
VSG on 07/10/12
Sounds like a pretty good appointment.  I'm not sure what the "deluxe surgery" is but it's good that they took so much time with you.  Do you feel comfortable with the team?  My doctor agreed to do the write up with my 6 months of prior weight loss attempts from other visits where weight loss surgery was discussed.  I'm sure it's dependant on your doctor but if you've been his patient for a while, I don't see why he wouldn't.  Keep your chin up!!  It'll work out!  Have faith!
Kevin H.
on 2/27/12 4:01 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 If you are going to use your Dr. for your 6 months diet, please make sure he documents it correctly.  Just a little note isnt going to work, at least it didnt for my insurance.  Also, do not skip or miss any appt's or you will have to start all over again.  

I was on month 5 seeing my Dr. thinking that he knew just what to do and what to write for the insurance company.  Boy was I wrong.  He was not documenting the proper things in his notes and then I was a couple days past the 30 day mark seeing him and had to start it all over again.  The nutritionist had a form for the Dr. to fill out each time I went after that to make sure he was providing the correct documentation.

Dont just assume that your primary doctor is going to know what you need.  Check with your nutritionist or your surgeon and see if they have a form for your Dr. to fill out each time you go to satisfy the 6 months of diet appt's.

Took me almost a year to get approved because of that. 
goingforit1
on 2/28/12 5:15 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Did your surgeon mean the "DS" surgery?  I'm not sure what "deluxe surgery" is but DS means it's the duodenal switch which means you would get the sleeve and then some intestinal rerouting as well.  I actually wanted to get that one in a way because you actually get to eat more fats and stuff because there is a malabsorption component but my surgeon felt it was "too much" surgery with someone like me that has a relatively low BMI (as far as obese WLS patients)...this actually gave me the freedom to switch to a surgeon that just does the sleeves and it all worked out well.

Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views