Vitamin D deficiency?

J. Garcia
on 2/27/12 5:37 pm
 Ok... So today I got a call from my pharmacy saying my rx was ready? A ill concerned I picked it up, although I never took in a rx... Anyhow they said it was from my surgeon. I have not had vsg yet I'm in the process though, they gave me vitamin d 50,000 iu  1 pill a day 2x a wk for 3 months... I'm a I'll concerned cuz my dr office didn't inform me of this... I plan on callin in the mornin ASAP, I wanted to call today but didn't know about the rx until after hours. Anyhow has anyone else had this prior to surgery. And is this possibly going to delay me getting sleeved.? I hope not any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
happyteacher
on 2/27/12 7:04 pm
 Call you doctor to confirm, but with that said...

It is very normal to need to supplement vitimin D.  My peeps have me taking 2000 i.u once in the morning and again in the evening.  Initially, it was just in the morning but i was still clocking in low.  i was low before surgery- I do not think it will throw you off track, assuming you take the supplements.  Your body will just discard extra D if it comes to that meaning it will not build up to toxic levels if you over do it  B12 and iron supplements can build up, so a little more caution with those.  Nothing to worry about :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

getmylifeback12
on 2/27/12 7:18 pm - NY
Truth is...most people have a Vit. D deficiency  (well, the people that live in a colder weather climate like myself as we lack sunshine)  I too am on on prescription Vit. D. This had no effect whatsoever on my surgery. Keep in mind that some surgeons have different requirements...and with that being said...your Dr. and surgeon should always have your final answer...its just so nice to have different opinions on this forum...it gets me through.
Phatchick
on 2/27/12 9:00 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I take 5000 U everyday and still fall on the low side of normal. Many people are deficient. If you are low in Vit D you are prone to more illnesses. Take the pill it won't hurt you. Sharon

seeingmyselfthere
on 2/27/12 10:36 pm
VSG on 03/07/12
I was in the same boat - they put me on 50,000 iu of D2 - 2x a week for 3 months and also 1,000 iu of  D3 everday (which will likely be boosted to 2,000 iu daily post op). the way the endocrine doc explained it to me is - my vitamin D was already depleted - so the 50,000 iu of D2 will work to replenish my empty tank and the D3 will be mainenance forever (unless something drastically changes over time).  you want to get going on the vitamin D - it works with the calcium in your body to help promote strong bones and such.  no biggie - but you should talk to your doctor so he/she can continue to monitor it post op. hope that helps.
katie M.
on 2/27/12 11:14 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Very normal! Funny story: I'm pre-op too and I was low & was prescribed Vit D. My surgeon prescribed me 50,000 IU and I was supposed to take it Once a day 3 times a week. My stupid a$$ read the label wrong and thought it said 3 times a DAY so when I was finished the bottle (months supply) in 4 days I was confused. I refilled the prescription over the phone and when my husband went to pick it up they wouldn't give it to him b/c I wasn't supposed to get it for another 3 weeks! Obviously I felt really stupid, but I was also panicking b/c I didn't know if it would hurt me? Needless to say I'm fine, but my surgeons nurse & I had a pretty good laugh about it and I was told to stop taking Vit D till after surgery b/c my levels are going to be super high now
Missy30
on 2/28/12 12:37 am
VSG on 06/27/12
I would say its normal.  I also have not had surgery yet and they called in a prescription of vitamin D for me as well. One a week for 8 weeks and I asked if they would test my vitamin D levels again before surgery and they said no just to take the prescription for the 8 weeks then get a over the counter vitamin D.

CheeseLover
on 2/28/12 12:38 am
VSG on 02/16/12
My surgeon made me start taking Vitamin D too, pretty normal.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
J. Garcia
on 2/28/12 5:40 am
 So first I'd like to thank everyone for responding :) I talked to droffice n the said its normal. He said a lot of people have this deficiency n don't realize it. He also said it won't affect my surgery date :) 
gabriellaz
on 2/28/12 1:18 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
When I got my lab results, I was deficient in vitamin D also, so my MD prescribed me the rx strength vit d and I had to take it for 12 Weeks also. I sure made sure I took it, then after 12 weeks I retook my lab, and it came back normal, yay. Now my process has moved forward and I have my psych evalutation this Thursday Good luck to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 64 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views