For Women Only (sorry guys, but you don't want to know!)

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/28/12 2:56 am
VSG on 02/16/12
So....how much does this surgery mess with our menstrual cyles? 

I started my period THE day of my surgery 2/16/12 (that was the normal time to start)...it lasted 5 days (fairly typical)...I started again last night!  That means 5 days on 7 days off & now on again...  I had fairly screwed up cycles for most of my life (unless I was on the pill) but they had been fairly regular for the last year+ (since my son was born; without the pill).  I know the weight loss will effect it some, just didn't expect that much.  As of yesterday, I had lost 32# in 31 days (including pre-op) so I understand that is some big changes in my body.....BUT I'm so not up for bleeding all the time, especially since I'm done making babies! I may have to talk to by ob/gyn about the procedure that essentially burns out the lining of the uterus & eliminates periods if this is how it's going to be!

Please share your experiences & it'll give me a little insight as to what I can expect!

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 3:02 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
But what if they know the answer because their beloved went through it? 

Yes, it can screw up your cycle some fierce! 

I had an ablation that you are considering.  I had a light period for 2 years ( a pantyy liner a day would have worked) for about 3 or 4 days, then 2 years without a period, and now I have periods again.  Back to light, but definitely periods. I have back cramps but nothing horrible like used to be, and no passing of kitten clots. Yaay.

*Do not assume your period will be gone forever~!!!*  Because that, like never being hungry after the vsg, or losing a shoe size when you lose weight, is in the luck of the draw.  Only having the offending uterus removed will assure you no periods.

So. that's what I know.  Periods do change, and maybe other folks can give you rhyme or reason, I cannot.  And an ablation rocks!  But do not count on your periods being gone 4 evah!
MelissaMommyto5
on 2/28/12 3:16 am
VSG on 02/16/12
HAHA, I'd still rather the male species not join in on this discussion! Thank you for sharing your story about the ablation (I couldn't remember the name, thanks for that too!).  It definately makes me question whether it is worth it or not.  My dr had recommended it shortly after having my youngest 16 mo ago because she thought it could help with my sporadic bleeding, heavy bleeding, etc.  Then, much to my surprise, it's been the most "normal" that it has ever been since the lil' guy was born so I just hadn't done anything about it.  Sucks that the info I was given was glorified a bit, but I really appreciate your honesty so that if I do proceed with that direction I go into eye wide open! ~Melissa

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 3:18 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I think the "glossy brochures" just always give us the best possible outcome, and of course the downsides are always in tiny print. :} 

It is good though that folks can shed some light on stuff that our glossy brochures forgot to mention ! 
Solstyce
on 2/28/12 3:04 am - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
Hi there :) So glad we're both doing well now other than the periods!

I have pretty severe PCOS and would only get my period once a year, if that. I started getting it regularly out of the blue about 4 months ago. I was on the week before my surgery then started bleeding last night and thought WTF!! It's also very light and I don't think it'll last long. My Dr says it's normal and could be very sporadic, heavy, light, etc. for the first 6mo while we're going through the most changes.

HW: 286  Consult: 276  SW:265   Pre-op: -11   1Mo -27  2Mo -11  3Mo -15  4Mo -6 (stall
UGH!)  5Mo -12
MelissaMommyto5
on 2/28/12 3:12 am
VSG on 02/16/12
Thanks for the info!  I'm surprised that out of all the reading I've done on here I had not seen mention of it before.  It's probably one of those DOH! things I should've known, but it shocked me last night.  I might hang it out for the first 6 months & see how it goes before considering more 'surgery' that may not help anyways. ~Melissa

Vicki J.
on 2/28/12 3:05 am - VA
Hi Melissa,

I can't offer any advice on our cycles...mine haven't really been all that different.

I do want to let you know that I had the Novasure procedure and don't put all of your eggs into one basket (no pun intended haha) that you won't have a period anymore.  I never skipped one darn cycle after that procedure!  I really wish now I had had the hysterectomy and been done with it!  In my doctor's defense she said most women DO lose their periods but it's not guaranteed.  I was one of the few percent who still have them.  They are lighter, I'll give her that, but still would probably be considered "heavy" by most normal bleeders.  Sorry if this is TMI, but just wanted you to know!  :)

-Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/28/12 3:10 am
VSG on 02/16/12
Not TMI...that's the info I was looking for!  Sorry that you still have yours but that definately makes me pause over that procedure more. ~Melissa

A2Z_Mom
on 2/28/12 3:22 am - Ellisville, MO
VSG on 04/09/12
I still have periods after Novasure in June. WAY better than it was but I was hoping to be done with that curse!!!

MelissaMommyto5
on 2/28/12 7:06 am
VSG on 02/16/12
Thanks for the info!  Amazing variations in experiences!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views