Pre-Op Concerns

Feystorm
on 3/5/12 1:10 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 This morning I got the last of my pre-op work finished.  I had blood taken on Friday, and today was chest xray and ekg.  
I had been worried about the cold I caught, but my chest is clear and it's not that bad anymore.  PCP said she was unconcerned.
My concern is my weight.  I started at 216.7 - first day of pre-op diet.  I then was weighed four days later at 208.7.  This morning - I am at 210.0.  I know it isn't much, but I thought the point of the pre-op diet was to encourage rapid weight loss.  
I know that I was super strict on myself the first four days.  Then when I met with my doctor, the nutritionist said I was being too strict and to add more fruit and veggies, as well as soups.  I had been staying at one cup of veggies, and fruits only in shakes.  I was having a hard time with the prepared shakes, so was at about 3-4 a day only.  I took her advice, and upped my intake.  I added one soup a day, usually a variety of the healthy start.  I increased my fruits and veggies, and promised to keep shakes at around 4 a day minimum.  
Now it seems the just 3 days was enough to go in the opposite direction.  I am pretty upset with myself, and feeling bad before I even get to the surgery.
Has anything like this happened to anyone else?  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Thicklin
on 3/5/12 8:58 pm - TN
VSG on 04/23/12
I can agree with you totally..I'm currently pre op and have to lose 10% of my body weight I have 10 pounds to go. I followed all direction giving to my by my NUT and my weight is going between two to three pounds up and down. Its frustrating cause this is my last of my requirements.

I don't know how I can have a stall before I even have the surgery. I know I didn't give you any advice but atleast your not alone.

mycheeka1
on 3/5/12 9:12 pm
 Why do u have to lose 10% of your weight before surgery?

Thicklin
on 3/5/12 10:26 pm - TN
VSG on 04/23/12

LOL I have no I have no idea why but its 10% of my my highest weight which is 30 pounds and I have 10 pounds to go....its the hardest 30 pounds ever

USAF Wife
on 3/5/12 9:00 pm
The pre-op diet is in place to help shrink the fatty/slimy deposits on the liver. They have to move the liver out of the way to get to the stomach so getting rid of the slippery/slimy fat on the exterior of the liver makes this task easier. I didn't lose one single pound on the pre-op diet.

Weight fluctuates every day, I weighed upwards of 7 times a day in my losing stage, and my scale would bounce 1-4lbs at any given time. Water weight, sodium intake, and working out can cause weight to bounce on the scale especially if you added soups which are typically pretty heavier on the sodium count. You haven't consumed enough calories to gain 2lbs of fat in that couple of days. You were following the instructions of your medical team, no reason to "feel bad" because of a bounce on a scale. 
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

C. Harvey
on 3/5/12 10:33 pm
VSG on 01/11/12
MY PRE-OP DIET WAS 2 DAYS BEFORE MY SURGERY. I DID CLEAR LIQUIDS...STARTED ON MONDAY MORNING AND ENDED ON TUESDAY NIGHT AT MIDNIGHT. I WASN'T REQUIRED TO LOSE ANY WEIGHT BEFORE SURGERY EITHER. I GUESS ALL SURGEONS ARE DIFFERENT. I LOST 22LBS IN MY FIRST WEEK AFTER SURGERY AND I AM NOW 7 WEEKS IN AND DOWN 50LBS...WHENEVER YOUR STOMACH IS ONLY 15% IT'S SIZE AND YOU START WITH THE ACTUAL JOURNEY...YOU WILL TELL THE DIFFERENCE. I CAN TELL MORE INCHES THAN ANYTHING.

cmp067
on 3/6/12 1:11 am
VSG on 03/23/12
 My pre-op diet is only 2 days too. I don't think you need to worry too much about the weight gain. It is nominal and you are not very heavy going in. If you are really concerned, call your doctor so they can put you at ease. No need to burden yourself with more stress at this time. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views