Hello all, Newbie here. Sleeved on 2/20,Some ?s

Lisak52
on 3/6/12 2:45 am - NY
VSG on 02/20/12
Just wanted to introduce myself.
I am Lisa a stay at home mom of 3 beautiful girls. I just turned 39 and was sleeved 2 days before my  birthday.
Today I am 17 lbs down from pre op. That is 15 days post op. I am looking to find out some info from you pros out there.
I am having issues with drinking. I can not tolerate water.It makes me sick to my stomach.Plus I am lactose intolerant. I need some suggestions from you all as to what works well for you to meet your hydration goals. I also get bad cramps in my stomach just after 2 small spoons of yogurt or any type of puree food. I can do cottage cheese,cream of wheat,but not pudding or yogurt. Is it just me or does anyone else get this also??
Shagdoll
on 3/6/12 3:29 am
Sounds like it's normal what you are going thru. I also had issues with drinking water early on. Honestly, the 1st month is tough; my surgeon even warned me. He told me his sleeve patients have a harder time the 1st month than his gastric bypass patients. Just do your best; continue to sip tha****er all day long. You dont want to get dehydrated. Take it easy on the food if you need to. I think I could barely get in two small spoonfuls myself that early on. Try to drink some high protein shakes in the meantime. I counted those shakes towards my water & protein goals. Good luck!
BTW, love your Breaking Dawn avi!!!
tall_not_venti
on 3/6/12 3:50 am
VSG on 02/23/12
Similar things happening to me, too. I got crazy pain from a pudding cup and a blended shake, but stirred shake or thinned cream of wheat do well. Also, my toothpaste causes a gag reflex, and chewable vitamins...week, they are not pretty. Water with a little flavoring does better than plain for me, and room temp or warmer. No ice. we can g get thru this, our baby tumies just need time.
cracsgrl
on 3/6/12 3:51 am
 I had trouble with the water too, but one glorious day the hospital staff brought me some unsweet tea with those little pieces of ice (mind you I could not EVER stand unsweet tea before) it became my new addiction! That is how I was able to get my fluids in. I developed some strange reaction to all types of protein shakes afterwards too. Before surgery I got several types to see which one I liked best and then after surgery when I drank one I would get VIOLENTLY ill like grab the wall and curl your toes ill! Have learned with this surgery its more experimenting to find out what you can handle. For everyone its different it seems. Also 2 tsp of anything was about all I could handle that first month. 

ready2sleeve
on 3/6/12 4:58 am - CA
Hello this sounds very normal to me, try to mix the water with a sugar free juice or G2 and have the water room temperature, I would also add like others said some form of a protein shake or Unjury high protein chicken soup. It gets better you are very early out just try to rest, sip and walk. I am a year out in a couple of days and I remember I would eat 3 tablespoons of yogurt and that was it so your doing just fine.

Carla

Pre-op: 320, SW: 298, CW 194,  Doctors goal 180,  My GW 160   
Rosemary1031
on 3/6/12 5:06 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
I am 4 weeks post-op and still struggle with tha****er, it all tastes sewery to me (probably a tactless analogy but it's how it is). The trick is finding ways to enhance the flavor and PH of the water. I have most of the MIO flavors. This is a colorful/flavorful liquid you can add to your water that will make it much smoother, a little goes a long way. Propel also makes single-drink powders you can add to water. These two things have helped me out tremendously with water. Good luck!

Lisak52
on 3/6/12 7:22 am - NY
VSG on 02/20/12
The MIO is still not really great on my tummy.I have a few different flavors.
I am just trying everything to see if I find something that will work.
Began my journey September 2011. Weight 226 lbs
Pre Op 2/20/12  Weight 216 -VSG 2/20/12

hairdo
on 3/6/12 5:14 am
It sounds normal to me too.  It's funny because when people ask me what I miss the most I tell them gulping water.  I have since learned to sip sip sip....

The first few weeks to two months I was on carnation instant breakfast (sugar free), lots of sugar free ice pops and different broths and puree (watered down with broth) soups.

When I switched to puree I would take any kind of soup and blend it and it tasted great.  When I progressed further I again would take any kind of soup and then blend a meat into it.

I still don't do great on yogurt or mayo and I'm almost 6 months out, I have to eat them really really slow to tolorate them.   Everyone is different and you will find what works best for you.

I figured out I was better with warm or room temp for liquids (except the ice pops)

Good Luck and hang in there it get's better

Lisak52
on 3/6/12 7:25 am - NY
VSG on 02/20/12
Broth is good on my tummy also.
Glad to hear it will get easier. I am so affraid to get dehydrated. I agree with the gulping drinks. I sooooo miss it already

Lisak52
on 3/6/12 5:58 am - NY
VSG on 02/20/12
Thanks for all the input.
I have MIO and still is hard to get down.Crystal light is really hard also. I have resorted to Sugar free popcicles.They sit the best.
I am keeping a bright outlook and know it will get easier. Look forward to sharing my journey here with all of you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views