3 month update

stepmomster
on 3/12/12 4:16 am, edited 3/12/12 4:34 am

Hello!

Today marks 3 months since my surgery date. I am sorry this post is so long… there is so much I want to share J

I cannot believe how fast it has gone! It feels like I was just being wheeled into surgery yet at the same time everyday has been a hurdle that I have jumped over.

My stats:

Highest Weight: 347

Surgery Weight: About 327

Current Weight: 279

Overall loss: 68 pounds

Inches lost:

Waist: 6 inches

Hips: 9 inches

R Thigh: 3.5

L Thigh: 3.5

R Upper Arm: 3

L upper Arm: 3

R Calf: 3.5

L Calf: 3.5

Neck: 1.5 inches

Total Inches lost: 36.5 inches!!

How I eat:

Following the surgery I had incredibly bad heart burn that made everything taste horrible including water. I was so thirsty and hungry yet everything tasted horrible. It was the most miserable feeling the world. The only thing I could drink was orange Gatorade yet I did not want to be drinking that too much due to the calories and carbs. Finally my doctor upped my meds and everything worked out.

Since about 1 month following surgery my doctor’s plan is to slowly introduce all types of food while eating protein first and limiting my carbs. On most days I eat between 600-750 calories, 60-90 grams of protein, and under 40 carbs.

I have had very little issues with eating food as long as I take my time eating it and as long as the meat is not dry. My only issue so far is that I can no longer have some forms of dairy. I cannot drink milk, eat ice cream and I have to limit the amount of yogurt I eat or else I will end up with bad tummy problems. Cheese on the other hand seems to give me NO problems.

Speaking of cheese… I have been having insane cravings for nachos. I mean INSANE… I have no idea why this is as I rarely ate nachos before the surgery.

The cravings for random food can be horrible. This is where the mental fight takes over. I know that I cannot and should not be having these food so I have to take a step back and remind myself of the process, how far I have come and how far I still have to go.

My sample Menu:

Breakfast:

1 egg scrambled with a tablespoon of 2% milk. .5 ounce cheese

Snack:1oz String Cheese

Lunch: Protein shake

Snack: ¼ cup creamy tuna dip w/  a couple carrots

Dinner: “Magic Meatballs"

Late Nigh Snack:  String Cheese

Calories:656

Carbs: 30

Fat: 28

Protein: 80

How I Exercise:

I walk almost every day and I try to get to the gym at least twice a week. I will be upping this as I just signed up for a 5k this May! I am a little nervous but I am also excited as this will be benefiting a charity that is very near and dear to my heart.

How I lose weight

I am definitely a stair step loser. I will stay the same for 4-6 days and then drop 5 pounds in 2-3 days. It can be frustrating but now that I know the pattern I remind myself to stick with the plan and I try not to stress out about it.

How I feel:

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I have had many issues, procedures and hospitalizations since then. I had been having issues keeping my symptoms under control. While getting ready for surgery I worked really hard to stay healthy so that I could get approved for surgery. The VSG was the only type of surgery that I was approved for (which was fine since that was the only surgery I wanted). Both my GI doctor and Bariatric Doctor felt that the surgery would do no harm to my UC and that if fact it may even help. Boy, were they right!!Since surgery I have had no issues or flare-ups. I feel so much better and the amounts of medications that I have to take since surgery has been cut in half!

Of course since shedding 68 pounds I feel great! I can get around more. I have had very little back pain since surgery. I have stopped snoring and my CPAP machine no longer fits. I was retested last week and I am hoping that the results come back saying that I no longer need to use the machine!

This last Friday my boss (who had a VSG about a year ago) brought me a bunch a clothes and jeans. The largest pair of jeans was a size22. They looked pretty small but my husband persuaded me to try them on… and… THEY FIT! They actually fit perfectly! I have gone from a size 28/30 to a size 22! This weekend I cleaned out my closet and went through my “skinny clothes boxes" and I now have an entirely “new" wardrobe!

How my marriage is:

My husband and I started out this journey together and ended up having the surgery 3 weeks apart. We both are doing great and feeling great. This whole process has brought us even closer as a couple. It has been amazing to have a partner on this ride. It makes meal times easier and it makes having excuses harder.
Since his surgery my husband has lost 83 pounds and overall he has lost 123 pounds!!!!

We are now looking forward to being more active and doing much more things together as a couple. The thing we are looking forward to the most is camping, fishing and hiking!

How I look:

Before:

Hubby and I- May 2010

Now:

Valentines day 2012

I would do this again in a heartbeat! It is the best decision that I ever made for myself.

I am really looking forward to how the rest of the year goes. I still have a long road but I am getting there!

Countrygirl77
on 3/12/12 4:28 am
Great job!! I bet having your husband beside you doing the same is
A lot of help! Keep up the good work ")
stepmomster
on 3/12/12 9:19 am
Thank you! it does make it lot easier! I feel very blessed to have him by myside

frenchgrapes
on 3/12/12 4:45 am - TX
Absolutely awesome post. I'm so glad everything is going so well for you and here's to it getting better all the time.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
stepmomster
on 3/12/12 9:20 am
Thank you so much!

happiegirl
on 3/12/12 5:10 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Good job!  I hope I can lose this much in three months!  Great job.  I'm pre-op and so far I've lost 70 pounds...it's taken a year.  I am crossing my fingers that this surgery will help.  Wow!!! What a great job!!!

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

stepmomster
on 3/12/12 9:21 am
Wow!  70 pounds prior to surgery! That is awesome! I am sure that you will do fantastic after the surgery too! Congrats on your weight loss!

happiegirl
on 3/13/12 2:03 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Thanks a bunch! What are magic meatballs? I can keep my calories at around 1000 to 1200 I'm really

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

happiegirl
on 3/13/12 2:05 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
I can get them down this low...it seems impossiblr.

Michelle H.
(Rainbomama)

on 3/12/12 5:19 am - LA
VSG on 02/27/12
Quite inspirational. I'm happy I chose to read this post first thing this morning. Great job!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Michelle from Louisiana

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views