Unexpected NSV today!

moonglo82
on 3/13/12 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Yes, I know I'm preop, but I noticed something today that really encouraged me, and gave me hope that I am heading in the right direction as far as being mentally prepared to handle stress post op.

Anyone who teaches knows that kids can be cruel.  Hell, anyone who has kids knows that kids can be cruel.  In the six years I have been teaching, I have been mooed at, oinked at, told that I needed a donut so I would be in a better mood, and many other weight-related insults.  In incidents past, I would handle the situation pretty well up front, but then break down later and cry or binge (or both). 

Today, I had a student basically call me fat in front of 30 other students.  I'll admit that I was stunned, and the other students were probably shocked that I didn't handle the situation differently, but I definitely nailed this kid after class, followed by a discussion with his father and our discipline AP, who both promised to take care of this for me.  Note: these are high school students, in his case a 10th grader, so it's not like he didn't know better.

While I was slightly upset after class, I kept my cool through the end of the day, and did NOT binge.  Not even on my way home from grad school tonight, when I must have passed about 50 different fast food restaurants (literally... it's an hour and a half drive home).  Instead, I kept my focus on my school work for the evening and on my lesson plans for the rest of the week. 

Now if only I can repeat this behavior later on, I'll be in much better shape.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/12 12:11 pm
That is one heck of an NSV, I'd say! Good for you and so hard to do! You're already reprogramming your response to stress and hurt!!!! I have to say that I'm impressed.

I used to have periods when once the kids left for the day I would go search out food from a colleague that kept a very well stocked classroom - chips, cookies, chocolate, licorice whips, candy bars, etc.... So glad I don't do THAT anymore!

Keep up the great work!
moonglo82
on 3/13/12 12:18 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks Kairk!  I have to admit that part of what helped me to push through that was the pep talk you gave me last week :)  Love ya!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

SouthernmostStar
on 3/13/12 12:12 pm
VSG on 01/25/12
Good for you!  Congratulations on not letting an ugly situation throw you off track.

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

moonglo82
on 3/13/12 12:19 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks Mary :)

I love being able to come here and share this stuff... even typing about what happened in a more positive light, instead of focusing on the hurt, seems to be therapeutic in some way.  Thanks for listening!

kimbethin
on 3/13/12 12:19 pm - CA
Good for you!  They won't be able to say any of those things to you anymore and you'll set a good example for the kids who need to lose some weight.  I've heard of other high school teachers getting great support from the kids once the weight loss started to be noticable.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
moonglo82
on 3/13/12 12:25 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Thanks, Kim!  I can believe the stories about students being supportive.  The kids were all super supportive when I lost so much weight last year with Weigh****chers.  One of my students already knows, but that's because her mother and I are friends and her mother had a RnY a few years ago, and she has been amazingly mature about the whole thing. 

newme2011-2012
on 3/13/12 12:26 pm
That is a HUGE NSV!!! And it will carry you far after your sugery..
Great job!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

moonglo82
on 3/13/12 12:32 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Thanks Julie! :)

NUJoyce
on 3/13/12 12:47 pm - Hayward, CA
Excellent news!   My husband recently ( 3 1/2 weeks ago) announced he wasn't happy and moved out!   I didn't binge at all.... in fact have been losing weight...

You will succeed.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views