Im 2.5 week post opt and you guys are gonna hate me for asking this but...

tSqrD3
on 3/17/12 12:15 am - PA
VSG on 02/27/12
 Soooo Im 25 years old first and foremost, and this experience has been very hard for me. I know its a lifestyle change, but Im wanting to know how long before things go back to semi normal. For example... its St Pattys day! This time last year i was at a bar somewhere partying it up. How long did you all wait to start drinking again? The dr. told me 6months... and im thinking that is crazy!!!!!!!!! Im not trying to get myself sick or anything, but I do enjoy an occassional Miller Lite. How long was it before you all started to drink again? Please help me!!!!!
Im trying...   

peeches35
on 3/17/12 12:22 am
VSG on 04/03/12
i did not have surgery yet but i I can say this follower your doc order noooooooooooo drinking that can wait

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/12 12:24 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I stayed abstinent for a year.

During the initial loss portion, your liver is working so hard and getting out all the impurities from your blood that are being let loose from your fat cells.  Its working overtime to keep up.  Drinking only taxes your liver worse.  That's the health part.

Your metabolism, some folks find that when they drink, not only is it just empty calories, it futzes up their metabolism and they stay stalled for a chunk of time that they might not have, because its not *just* empty calories, it changes stuff metabolically.

Age has little to do with this, really though.  Thinking "what is BEST for my body while its healing/during this period of time" is going to serve you well.

Alcohol on a fresh wound, like you have, may well burn and hurt and be more trouble than its worth.  But that's definitely something you will have to find out for yourself if you are going to girlie.

Nobody can make up your mind for you. *shrug*
Cajun_Lady1029
on 3/17/12 12:40 am - VA
Revision on 04/16/12

Good morning and congratulations on making the decision to take contro of your health and life.
I'm pretty sure surgery wasn't an easy decision to make and being 2.5 weeks out can cause you to have some serious head hunger as well as asking yourself "what the hell have I done??"   If your dr said 6 months, then it's 6 months.  There will be PLENTY of things you can't do, but just remind yourself that YOU are worth a few sacrifices.  That St. Patty's Day drink will seem so trivial when you're able to live the healthiest life you can.  So, having said that, I agree with one of the other posters who said you will have to find these things out for yourself and no one can make these decisions for you.

Toni    HW:293  CW:287  SW:TBD  GW:140

"Obstacles are the frightful things you see when you take your eyes of your goal" Henry Ford    
tSqrD3
on 3/17/12 12:40 am - PA
VSG on 02/27/12
 mkay soooo i kno it wouldnt be worth it to drink now.. my question is how long did everyone else wait before they started to drink again. I stated my age b/c im young and still like to go out and have fun. So im just wondering how long everyone waited before they had a drink again?
Im trying...   

laurak712
on 3/17/12 6:19 am - New Braunfels, TX
I waited about 6 months and about fell on my ass after about 1 oz. of wine.  Yes, I said 1 oz.  Not much fun there.  But now that I am 3 years out I can drink a couple of glasses occasionally and not be falling down drunk.  just sayin...

Laura

Height 5' 7

jimbovsg
on 3/17/12 9:57 am
On March 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM Pacific Time, tSqrD3 wrote:
 mkay soooo i kno it wouldnt be worth it to drink now.. my question is how long did everyone else wait before they started to drink again. I stated my age b/c im young and still like to go out and have fun. So im just wondering how long everyone waited before they had a drink again?
Well you have a lot of replies here......you have heard the reasons why...........your doc says 6 months.......so the choice is yours to make!  Don't let the reckless abandon of youth deter your success/health!  There will be plenty of time for this later.   Your response here sounds a bit like you are fishing for permission or validation to go against your doc's plan...and drink alcohol before you should.  I dunno...maybe it is just me? 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

loverofcats
on 3/17/12 12:43 am
I have found out that alcohol just isn't worth the extra calories and empty nutritional value. I was out for about 15 months, before I had any alcohol and that was at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just isn't worth it.

I've worked too hard to let alcohol mess with my weight loss and maintenance. Follow medical advice. Alcohol will slow your weight loss and cause damage to your sleeve, if you drink too early. Plus, the effects of the alcohol are intensified and will increase your food intake. Not worth it.  There are other ways to have fun.

This surgery is a lifestyle change.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/12 12:46 am
 My surgeon says wait one year so I guess I don't think 6 months sounds that rough.  Also, if you do decide to indulge before then you should probably skip the beer.  Carbonation and yeast made me gassy before and I sure wouldn't want that now.  Suggest you stick with wine, or maybe vodka w/low sugar uncarbonated mixer.
USAF Wife
on 3/17/12 12:48 am
I waited until I was at goal (6.5 months).

Drinking is empty calories. I was not going to skip feeding my recoverying body nutrtious foods and clear fluds just so I could justify the alcohol.

You will have the rest of your life to booze it up. Like you said, you're only 25, you're adding years to life by losing weight and gaining health, don't **** off  your liver just so you can have a drink. I was 32 when I had surgery so it's not like I'm ancient, and I'm a serious social drinker.

Plus, early out, liquids leave our little tummies super fast, and alcohol typically hits us a bit faster, and leaves us faster. It took me months to be able to build up a decent tolerance to keep a nice little buzz going. You can still have a great time out without  a drink in your hand. Usually one drink in, super buzzed, numb lips/face and then sober in 20-30 minutes, that's not my idea of a good time.

I was technically released for alcohol consumption at 3 months post-op, but the cons outweighed the pros of having a drink before I had lost all my weight.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views