No Bueno!!!

ChristiS1985
on 3/20/12 12:35 am - TN
Yesterday was horrible! I decided to get a head start on my liquids so my plan is to replace breakfast and lunch with protein shakes and then just have a low-fat dinner. Yesterday I had two shakes and about 60oz of water. By 5pm my head was hurting so bad that I could hardly see and I was so weak and dizzy that I felt like I was going to faint every time I stood up. When I left work I got a sub from subway and went home and ate it almost as fast as I could. I didn’t feel hungry at all yesterday but I knew I was sick from not eating any carbs, sugar, etc. After eating I went to my bed to lay down to watch TV and my legs starting hurting something horrible! I accidently fell asleep and didn’t wake up till almost 3 hours later. When I did wake up I felt horrible...I still feel horrible this morning. What should I do? My saving grace was my subway yesterday but come Sunday I have to be on full liquids. I was all excited but now I’m just worried. I can’t feel that way every day and work. Any pointers or suggestions? Both would be greatly appreciated.
jacreasy
on 3/20/12 12:49 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 Maybe its from caffeine... Do you drink alot on a day to day basic?  I know I tried the same thing last week and made it 2 days before I cheated.  Although my Pre-op diet will be kind of the same Slim fast for Breakfast, Lunch and then a sandwich for dinner for 2 weeks. I wonder myself how I'm going to do that. Anyways I had a headache for 2 days in a row b/c of the caffeine. So I only drank 2 cups of soda with my dinner.  I usually drank a 2liter a DAY  Try to wein sp? yourself off if that is the case. Good Luck. I'm being sleeved 4-23 Jennifer

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

tripmom02
on 3/20/12 1:20 am - NJ
 You are going to go though detox, it's just that simple. Your body is going to crave the bad things and you are going to feel like crap. No matter when you start it's going to happen, almost all of us go though it. It sucks, but it's necessary and a part of the change you need to make in order to be successful. Good luck.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

angel22z
on 3/20/12 1:38 am - FL
I had a horrible headache the first day and felt kind of under the weather the second day but after that I felt fine. Those are the two roughest days of the liquid phase (worse then when I went to clears for day before surgery) You can do this- take one day at a time for the first couple of days then it will get easier the rest of the week.
SW: 288 CW: 231 GW: 145 Surg Wt: 268        
rhearob
on 3/20/12 1:59 am - TN
 In my case I don't remember headaches and exhaustion the way others describe them.  I do remember feeling pretty irritable the first couple of days.  I wasn't physically very hungry but my head was messing with me pretty bad.  I had the habit of always having a snack with me when I watched TV or eating a whole loa fof bread while out at dinner.

You can use some soft sugar free foods to help make up for some of that.  Sugar Free Popsicles, Sugar Free Jello, Sugar Free Pudding.  The point of the pre-op diet is to deplete your body of glycogen stores in your muscles and organs so that they shrink for surgery.  Carbs are your mortal enemy right now.

That said, starting the liquid diet does trigger all sorts of changes in your body.  Give yourself time to adjust to them.  Theres a whole lot of biochemistry going on, and as a result a whole lot of head games that you won't even be consciously aware of.  Just keep focusing on your goal, give your time to adjust, and to feel everything.  You don't need to rush to fix something, just stop and take a deep breath and keep your goal in mind.

This is also a great time to start a lot of good habits - like reading the labels on everything you buy and understanding what they mean.  I started that too late.  The shakes I bought pre-op wer horrible - even the diet or diabetic ones.  They had way too much fat and way too many carbs.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

goingforit1
on 3/20/12 2:35 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
You are going to have a terrible headache if you are truly detoxing from carbs and sugar. This was the first time (when I started my liquid diet) that I truly believed and understood that carb and sugars are truly addictive to my body and the first three days I had a TERRIBLE headache and I felt lethargic, weak (physically AND emotionally), and I had to stay the hell out of the kitchen. NO CHEATS. You just have to get through those first couple of days and then by the 4th day your body stops asking for those carbs and sugars. You will feel awful but it will get better.

If I were you and I worked a mon-fri job...I would start liquids on friday a.m....saturday and sunday will suck (go to bed all day if you have to with liquids on your nightstand but don't cheat) and then Monday you will be feeling better to go back to work. It got to the point where I didn't even crave food at all.

It's tough and you'll be irritable at first. It will be difficult to withstand temptations those first few days, make it easier on yourself by not going out with others that are eating, stay away from office break rooms if food is out. It's just something you have to get through but trust me...IT IS WORTH IT!

I'm just at 6 weeks post op and I've lost 30 lbs (including the one week of liquids pre-op). Keep your eye on the prize. YOU CAN DO THIS!
Alice71
on 3/20/12 2:36 am - Canada
VSG on 01/09/12
It happened to me I was allergic to " whey protein " in the drinks.. I am 2.5 months out and down 35 pounds it's a miracle really ! Good luck
CheeseLover
on 3/20/12 2:54 am
VSG on 02/16/12
I've heard of that happening from carb withdrawal. My friend dealt with it recently.
 HW: 396 SW: 299 CW: 252 GW: 175

FINALLY BROKE THAT GOD-AWFUL STALL!!!!
Cindstroy
on 3/20/12 3:36 am
Even going off Diet Coke will give you withdrawals.  I've done it twice now.  The first time I went off the diet cokes I lost 33 pounds.  This time I went off them in mid February.  I've been doing the protein shakes for a little over a week (2 a day and a meal), but I've been watching my protein, carbs, and fat intake since the middle of Feb.  I've lost 22 pounds now.  I promise, after the first few days, it will get better!  Get some Crystal Light or Mio to add to your water.  That will help, too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views