what are the biggest differences between VSG post op diet and RNY post op diet?

bethmalone
on 3/21/12 2:20 am
 1. The first few weeks; and

2. Regarding sweets...... 

3. Vitamins???

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 2:22 am
 If you are working with a surgeon you might want to check in with them.  My surgeon gave the same plan to patients with sleeve and RNY.  The only surgery that had a seperate class, and presumably a different plan, was DS.
Boscogirl
on 3/21/12 2:46 am - TX
From my personal experience and from friend's experiences, they seem to be one in the same.
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
Ms. Poker Face
on 3/21/12 2:48 am
My surgeon's post op eating plan is the same for RNY and VSG.  However, the vitamin regimen is different.  I can't recall off the top of my head what his RNY vites are.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

bethmalone
on 3/21/12 3:29 am
 so everything has to be SF? like with RNY?
(deactivated member)
on 3/21/12 3:35 am, edited 3/21/12 5:04 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Nothing *has* to be sugar free. Not even with Roux-en-Y. 

Its *encouraged* but that does not mean everyone follows the plan they were given, is all I am saying.  And some vsg folks react to sugar and some Roux-en-Y folks do not.
Jamie J.
on 3/21/12 8:29 am - MI
VSG on 03/15/12
 My hubby had rny 4 yrs ago.  If he has too much sugar he gets sick and has dumping. 
hollykim
on 3/21/12 4:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
the "biggest diffewrence" has to do with each surgeon. there ae,literally,as many different post op eating plan as there are surgeons.

Many use the same plan for rny and Vsg and many have seperate plans.

Every plan I have even seen posted anywhere says no full sugar products.

Many ok all fruits,many ok some fruoits and many say no fruits till goal since they are pure sugar,natural sugar,yes,but still full sugar,none the less.

Some rny
ers dump on sugar some don't. some vsg'ers dump on sugar,some don't. you can
t really depend on dumping to keep u away from sugar.

you have to depend on yourself to do that with the help of a surgical tool.

The foirst few weeks many plans call for clear liquids advancing to full liqs,then pureed,then mushy then soft then regular foods,as tolerated.

Some plans send people home on mushy foods and some go straignt to regular food with no delay. this applies to vsf=g and rny. it just depends on your surgeon and his plan.

califsleevin
on 3/21/12 4:56 am, edited 3/21/12 4:59 am - CA
A lot of surgeons use the same plan for both since many have a lot more experience with the RNY than with the sleeve. The RNY will have a few more restrictions to avoid things getting caught in the pouch.stoma which isn't an issue with the sleeve - once healed we are pretty much normal.

Initial diets for the RNY are usually pretty conservative to allow the pouch to heal, and many VSG plans copy those, although some of the more experienced sleeve surgeons are more liberal on their progression (I was on soft proteins and puree from the hospital on out while most RNY and some VSG plans use liquids only for several weeks.)

Sugars are usually restricted for all WLS simply to keep the calories down for weight loss, and to avoid dumping for those RNYers (and more rarely, sleevers) who are sensitive in that area. Vitamins are generally similar, though since the RNY malabsorbs minerals, so most RNY plans have increased mineral supplements compared to VSG plans. VSG plans may specify 1000-1500 mg calcium per day while RNY plans will specify 2000-3500mg per day, with similar disparities for iron (and other minerals as needed.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

MsKim4ever
on 3/21/12 6:37 am - MD
I have not had my surgery yet, but did attend a required nutrition class yesterday (3 hrs) and another one to go to on Saturday (3hrs too)....any whoooo  we were given the diets for weeks 1-5 for both sleeve and bypass.  The difference was that the sleeve patients had to do a liquid diet for the first 2 weeks then soft moist food after, whereas the bypass patients could start off on moist soft food from the hospital.  From the 3rd week on they were the same for my surgeon.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views