New Attention

Chelle2380
on 3/22/12 3:25 am - TX
I really don't know how to handle all the attention I get now that I have lost weight.  It's a mental and emotional battle I feel.  I will just be driving down the road and guys will honk and wave and just try to get my attention.  In my head I'm thinking they are making fun of me since I'm fat!  I am a police officer and all the officers keeps staring and making comments and it grosses me out and makes me feel weird around them now because they are like my brothers and I don't want them to think I'm any different from before.  I am married and my husband actually works for the same police department I do.  He never tells me I look good, but yet I get it from everyone else all the time.  I just am rambling I guess, but I needed to let it out!

Sara R.
on 3/22/12 3:41 am
Thats what we are here for, ramble away. It is definitely something thats hard to get used to. People at work, friends and family are always saying they notice a huge difference and it makes me feel awkward because i dont see it. When i notice someone staring at me i wonder if its because my clothes look funny or because im fat. Its totally normal to feel this way. You could always tell your coworkers that you appreciate the comments but it makes you feel uncomfortable. Also check into seeing a counselor or support group to work these feelings out while your going through such a huge life change. It might make loosing weight more enjoyable :)

Marabell
on 3/22/12 3:46 am
VSG on 06/07/12
Its so funny....I haven't even had surgery yet but once upon a time......I had lost quite a bit of weight and I had the same feelings as you....and I was no where near as heavy as I am now. I just recently discussed with my husband that it concerns me a bit on how am I going to handle this if/when it happens after I have lost the weight following this surgery. It has been 20 years since I was thin enough for anyone other than my husband to even look at me with anything else but disgust.

His answer to me, was: "To me, you are, and always have been, beautiful. After you lose the weight and you begin to feel better about yourself, you will then be seeing yourself through my eyes." I told him that having guys hoot and whatever will make me uncomfortable and he told me to enjoy the ride and to know that as long as they are being respectful, to take it for what it is.....a compliment. Accept it graciously and tell yourself that YOU EARNED IT!

slimpickins5280
on 3/22/12 5:53 am - CO
I know how you feel. I'm no "hotty", but men look at me and I keep looking behind me to see what they're looking at.

I don't know if this helps, but a lot of the vets say that this attention goes away after awhile.

I say own it! You are a NEW you and it's okay to feel good about it.

Maybe see the responses you are getting as a confirmation, in the most basic neanderthal way many men know how, of your success.

Believe it or not, but it may pass at some point and you might actually miss it.

Hubby isn't saying anything because he's probably jealous and getting flack from those same guys. IMO, he's probably just trying to not put his fist through one of their jaws for wooping and hollering over his wife.

Give him lots of attention and he'll be okay after awhile.

JMO of course.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

kimbethin
on 3/22/12 11:09 am - CA
It is a really strange thing to get used to.  I remember in my early 20's one of my friends was tall and just beautiful and we were all a little bit wild and crazy.  She wore a buttun on her denim jacket the said "MADE YOU LOOK!"  Guy's always thought it was funny, but they were always looking at her.  Now that I am starting to get attention like that again, it always makes me think of that button and smile.  Just walk tall and proud and think of it as something you have earned.  If they get out of line, you have the right training.  Enjoy this time!  You have worked hard for it.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views