A compulsive over eating moment (X-posted)

LaughingCow
on 3/22/12 4:07 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I shared this with my OA group and thought I'd share it with you guys in case anybody can identify.  I just posted it on the main board, but I actually meant to post it here.  Whatevs.  Maybe it will help someone there, too.

Last week, I finally started feeling okay eating. One day, I bought a pre-packaged scoop of egg salad on a bed of lettuce from Whole Foods to eat for lunch.

I had to eat it while watching a training seminar on my computer. It turned out there was about 1/2 cup of egg salad in the package. I had estimated that it was 1/4-1/3, but there was some hidden by the lettuce.

I got distracted and ate a little too much and my sleeve and hiatal hernia repair started to hurt. That part wasn't compulsive. It was just a learning experience. (Lesson: Pay more attention. Do a better job of estimating portions. Don't eat while distracted.)

So I moved the egg salad away from me so I could concentrate on my training. Well, sure enough AS SOON as the pain subsided, I found myself reaching for that egg salad again. I took another bite KNOWING that it would probably put me over capacity and it would likely make my stomach start hurting again. I think I took a total of 3 more bites before I threw it away. But it's just nuts to take extra bites knowing that you're already full and you've just gotten past the point of being overly full.

Stuff like this is how I KNOW I'm a compulsive overeater and that having the Sleeve surgery didn't cure me. I may not be able to overeat, but I will be able to someday and I will have all kinds of problems if I don't figure this part of me out.
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Kevin H.
on 3/22/12 4:14 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Good post.  Thanks for the reminder!  Ok head .. what IS going on up there with you anyway?  Sigh .. maybe we'll figure it out one day  

clubnewyou
on 3/22/12 4:54 am - TN
Thanks so much for sharing this is a all to familiar for me as well I know for a fact its a head thing my surgery date is april 30 and i can only pray for strength to not do this.I have tried to even experiment now to do liquids a full day and that is definitely hard I found myself in my room most of the day and also in a bad mood..Not sure how the skinny stay skinny I am determined to get some form of control so I can enjoy life .
tabrielle10
on 3/22/12 5:06 am
I echo that friend!  Having a hard time with this one...

tabrielle10
on 3/22/12 5:04 am

**Wow**

Tonja B.
on 3/22/12 5:32 am - TX
I just had this conversation with a friend a couple of days ago.  It's something I struggle with constantly.  I now weigh and measure EVERYTHING I eat so that I don't overeat.  It just seems if it's there in front of me I want to fini****  I wish there was an easy fix for my head!!

Barbara W.
on 3/22/12 5:45 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Oops! It is so easy to just pick up that fork and take another bite when your
distracted. It is automatic.  You don't have to be hungary to take a bite when
it is in front of you.  That certainly lets me knowit would be better forme to
measure, and then eat.  I think you just learned and valuable lesson.  I will
certainly try to be more aware.  Thanks for your post.

Everchanging
on 3/22/12 6:19 am - NY
VSG on 03/13/12
 Before surgery,I would have done that.However after i few bits i get that full feeling quick and I've learned not to pu****What i usually do is sit down and eat and when i feel full i put the plate down and walk out the room and go do something else like get on the computer to play games or listen to music and that totally distract me.

I'm on a Everchanging journey.       

Marabell
on 3/22/12 6:33 am
VSG on 06/07/12
I sure can relate....I have not had surgery yet but I DO know that this will be a very challenging part of this journey....I seem to be possessed when it comes to food. I consider myself a pretty independent and strong minded woman.....except when it comes to food...It is my monster on my back---it has all the control. That is why I must join a support group for OA.

it is good that you recognized what you were doing and you stopped....that is a step...a big step towards conquering the issue.

thanks for sharing....

LISA C.
on 3/22/12 7:11 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12

Thanks for sharing, Amy. I had a similar thing happen today and it's good to know I;m not alone.

The surgery only fixed our tummies... we are left to struggle with the head part.  Support like we find on this forum is a big help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views