I may have to stop eating protein

LaughingCow
on 3/25/12 10:06 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with

Maybe I'll have to drink all my protein and eat nothing but prunes and lettuce to get my intestine back in action.  I'm not having any pain from constipation, but I'm just tired of it.  The NUT told me to add as much veg and fruit as I have to in order to get my guts working.   I'll have lots of gummy fiber and stuff so that I can hopefully still eat protein.  But if that doesn't work, I may just have to eat only fr/veg and drink all my protein. 

I'm dyin over here!

Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
LaughingCow
on 3/25/12 10:12 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I have no idea why there is a grinning icon next to this post. Whatevs.
Texdawg
on 3/25/12 10:16 am
VSG on 01/17/12
Right there with you. I've done everything the dr said. Very frustrating.
Pooch2
on 3/25/12 10:17 am
Ask your nut about taking Miralax until you are eating veggies and fruits, that should set you right again and keep you on high protein/low carb......  Good Luck
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
ruggie
on 3/25/12 10:18 am - Sacramento, CA
I think most of us end up needing to take fiber supplements.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Could_It_Be
on 3/25/12 10:23 am
just a reminder... Water is as important as fiber 

VSG on 6/22/11
emelar
on 3/25/12 10:55 am - TX
Benefiber.  It dissolves in just about anything and is tasteless.  That, lots of liquids, and try to add a little fat to your diet - some olive oil, avocado/guacamole, olives, pork rinds, peanut butter.
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/12 11:01 am
I did everything I was supposed to according to the nut and doctor, even prune juice! Well, I still had issues and felt like I was often trying to pass the frickin' Rock of Gibralter! So....... I got myself some generic Miralax and started taking that. One dose and I was cured!  After a day or two, I cut back and now take 1/2 a dose of Miralax a day and take a Colace in the morning and the evening and I'm a happy pooper once again!
joeswife
on 3/25/12 11:19 am - CA
I prefer to get in my protein. I drink a tea called Smooth Move, and that does the trick. I have tried fruit, prunes, miralax, you name it, but they didn't work. This tea has been a life saver.

Krazydoglady
on 3/25/12 11:22 am - FL
I haven't had an issue since I was about 2 months post-op, but I did some research when I was doubled over one day..  A couple of thoughts:

1) Drink -- if you are not adequately hydrated, the body doesn't allocate water to the intestines
2) Move -I find that things move 'more slowly' during the week when I'm desk-bound during the day and just getting intermittent exercise whereas they move pretty quickly on the weekend when I'm up and doing things from dawn til dusk (housework, gardening, etc.)
3) Know thy fiber -- Are you getting soluble or insoluble fiber? Soluble fiber is great for the heart but it isn't so good at making the trains run on time.  Insoluble fiber creates the 'bulk' needed
4) Fat -- make sure there's adequate fat in your diet.  Fat helps the motility of your digestive tract. Also, if you don't eat fat regularly the gallbladder can be shocked when you do eat something fatty. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views