Struggling!

tart
on 3/28/12 12:15 pm - Washington, DC
I had the vertical slieve operation in Jan 2011.  I have lost 70 - 80 lbs down to 430.  I have severe arthritic knees so I m not ambulatory.  The doctors at the Washington Hospital Center say I can have knee replacement surgery if my weight gets under 400 lbs.  I shooting for 375 lbs but I am struggling. Help!
hollykim
on 3/28/12 12:21 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
what part of your program are you struggling with? More info will help us help you...

What is a typical day of eating like for you? getting all your protein and fluids in? vitamins?

tart
on 3/29/12 12:34 pm - Washington, DC
Thanks for contacting me. I exercise everyday. I have triangle on my bed so I do 300 stomach crunches, 300 - 400 arm exercises. My typical daily diet consists of breakfast - a english muffin with marg and sugarless jelly, a boiled egg, two small pork sausage patties, coffee with low sugar creamer; lunch - two oranges; dinner - two turkey burgers with cheese and no bread, two cups of veggies; Snack - various fruits and nuts. Once a week I have a ice cream sandwich. twice a week i have two small candy bars. no soda - I drink a minimum of 48 ozs of water per day.

I take a multiple vitamin and fish oil daily. In Mar 09 I weighed 616 lbs. That month I had the lap band surgery at the Wshington Hospital Center (WHC) and lost weight to 481 lbs over the course of 18 months. In Jan 2011 I had the gastric slieve operation. My weight now is 435 lbs. The doctors at the WHC indicated they could perform the knee replacement surgery at a weight under 400 lbs. I would like to get my weight down to 375 lbs for the surgery.

I am struggling emotionally because I have plateaued. Lately it's been difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Elaine2
on 3/28/12 12:27 pm, edited 3/28/12 12:28 pm - Atlanta, GA
Congrats on your weight loss---it's great!

Why don't you give us some additional details regarding your daily meal plan---cals, proteins, carbs---whatever you track. We might be able to help you tweak it or offer reinforcement.

What are your struggles?

Are you exercising at all? I know you're not mobile but have you looked into classes like restorative yoga (in my gym it's done in chairs) or other classes or CDs for non-ambulatory folks?

Without seeing anymore info, get back to the basics that helped you lose that 70-80 pounds. You can do it!!

tart
on 3/29/12 12:33 pm - Washington, DC
Thanks for contacting me.  I exercise everyday.  I have  triangle on my bed so I do 300 stomach crunches, 300 - 400 arm exercises.  My typical daily diet consists of breakfast - a english muffin with marg and sugarless jelly, a boiled egg, two small pork sausage patties, coffee with low sugar creamer; lunch - two oranges; dinner - two turkey burgers with cheese and no bread, two cups of veggies; Snack - various fruits and nuts.  Once a week I have a ice cream sandwich.  twice a week i have two small  candy bars.  no soda - I drink a minimum of 48 ozs of water per day.

I take a multiple vitamin and fish oil daily.  In Mar 09 I weighed 616 lbs.  That month I had the lap band surgery at the Wshington Hospital Center (WHC) and lost weight to 481 lbs over the course of 18 months.  In Jan 2011 I had the gastric slieve operation.  My weight now is 435 lbs.  The doctors at the WHC indicated they could perform the knee replacement surgery at a weight under 400 lbs.  I would like to get my weight down to 375 lbs for the surgery.

I am struggling emotionally because I have plateaued.  Lately it's been difficult.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Elaine2
on 3/30/12 11:07 am, edited 3/30/12 11:23 am - Atlanta, GA
Sorry it took so long to get back with you but the email notification doesn't seem to be working.

It's a struggle for all of us when we stall out---so I know how you are feeling. Get downright depressing. But you've done well and I think you can get down to 375, get your knee down and lose more weight.

Let me first say that you should follow your surgeons plan. But if I may offer a few suggestions??--Your exercise sounds good--you work hard. There is also a DVD called Sit and Be Fit that you can do in a chair in case you're interested.

Fluids---got to get those up to at least 64 oz.---even more if you can. The more you drink the more you will lose, IMO.

I would try for more protein each day and less carbs. Do you do a protein shake? That might help fill you up and increase the protein. Do you track your daily intake for cals, carbs and protein?

There is a forum here for folks starting with a 50+ BMI. We can offer you lots of support. We've all started at a high weight. Why don't you come over here and introduce yourself. Lot's of folks to give you advise if you want it.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bmi_over_50/

Edited to add---I would talk to your surgeon and NUT about your program to move you along.

tart
on 3/30/12 2:01 pm - Washington, DC
Thanks for your advice.  Tomorrow I will start on a protein drink at minimum once a day.  I will also try to drink at least 64 oz of water a day.  I also contacted the forum which you gave me the site.  Peace!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views