Greek Yogurt and Protein and Exercise

Feystorm
on 3/28/12 2:20 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Before surgery, I hardly tolerated any yogurt.  any.  Tonight for the first time ever I tried Fage 0% Greek with honey.  I loved it! lol.  I have been trying mushies and only got a few teaspoons of apple sauce down today.  Last night I got 1/4 of an egg.  Tonight - I got half the greek yogurt with honey.  I couldn't explain it.  Weirdest thing...

As for protien, I am not having the best luck.  I average about 30g a day - today I got 37.  I try to drink one at least mid day - as by trying to have it first thing in the morning, I was making my stomach hurt less than a 1/4 of the way through.  Today I got through a whole one by making myself sip some every few minutes.  I am two weeks out and already feel like I am falling behind on things. 

Third - when do most people start exercising?  I am afraid to.  I have one incision (the largest one) that still is sore and tender.  It aches when I move wrong, and sometimes leak if I move way too wrong without thinking.  Any one else have slight seeping of blood every now and again?  It is never too much, and just maybe 2-3 times a day if I move wrong.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

cece58
on 3/28/12 2:49 pm - CA
 I would stop the honey because of all the carbs and try something else to sweeten the yogurt. The yogurt is good because it has lots of protein. Are you drinking protein drinks? Two weeks out you should have some protein drinks to get in your protein. One Premier Protein shake has 30 grams, a cup of Fage yogurt is 23. A couple of protein drinks, scrambled egg, yogurt and you can really get in your protein. I was exercising after about a week by walking on a treadmill. You can start slowly and then work up to a better workout when you are feeling stronger.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

newme2011-2012
on 3/28/12 2:50 pm
Our sleeves can be funny. What one person cn eat the other can't. If yogurt works for you yay!! You need to find things to up your portien that work for you.
As far as exercise, you could do some light walking. I wouldn't do anything strenous for a while. My Dr. said no heavy weights until 3 mo. out. But cardio as you can tolerate. This early out I think walking , just moving will work for you.
Sounds like you are doing great!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Feystorm
on 3/28/12 3:06 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Thanks guys!  I was worried about the honey and the carbs, but I don't eat much else with carbs, so been keeping that between 0-30g of carbs a day.  Any suggestions on other sweeteners?

I do walking every day, 30 minutes.  I just want to do cardio - but was told no exercise til my second appointment, which is May!  Seems like a long time to do nothing but walking.  I can't twist or turn my body without irritating that incision that is giving me problems.  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

mame31
on 3/28/12 4:41 pm - RI
VSG on 05/29/12
 I use the Toriani sugar free sweeteners (liquid) to add calorie flavor to my yogurt. I bought mine on Amazon as part of a sample pack. Good luck!

Mame31
newme2011-2012
on 3/28/12 3:20 pm
You really don't have to worry much about the carbs at this point, but you do want to be thinking of some other sweetner down the road.. I don't do fake sweetners because I get migraines.. You will have to see what works for you.
Do you go to a gym??? You coulsd do the bike or elliptical to. Not to twisting. But really walking is just fine for now.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

KB1964
on 3/28/12 9:56 pm
I like smuckers sugar-free preserves in my Greek yogurt. Sometimes I add a little splenda with it sometimes and sometimes not. It is pretty good.
Seemeslimmer
on 3/28/12 10:43 pm - Bardstown, KY

great idea. thanks for sharing that.
      See  
momsy55
on 3/28/12 10:48 pm - ME
You can also try about 1/4 package of intant sugar free pudding mix in the yogurt.  The flavor is good and the pudding thickens the yogurt into a mousse liek consistency.  As far as exercise...I got the go ahead at my 2 week follow up with the surgeon, to do aerobic exercise - walking, treadmill, bike, etc... I was able to start a jazz dance class 3 weeks out.  However, I suggest you check in with your surgeon to be sure.  Light walking is encouraged from day 1, so that should be fine.  Just don't overdo it. 

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

laurak712
on 3/28/12 11:32 pm - New Braunfels, TX
Add some vanilla protein powder...that will sweeten it up and boost the protein!!

Laura

Height 5' 7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views