Type 2 diabetes question for vets

aled1223
on 3/30/12 12:56 pm
 Did losing the weight help get rid of your t2 diabetes?  This one thing I am really hoping for.  Someone else told me that ryn does a better job of that. I really feel my weight is causing this so once I have surgery and loose it will go away.
pedirn06
on 3/30/12 1:05 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
I had been taking Metformin 1000mg twice a day for about 12 years.  I took my last dose the day before surgery.  My bloodsugars have been "perfect" since 48 hours postop. 
pedirn06

maxie1
on 3/30/12 1:07 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

hi,

to be honest with you my diabetes did not go away... i had the sleeve in june 2011  i have lost 64 lbe which is great but the diabetes is still here.. someone told me to have the second part of the sleeve so the diabetes will go away.. right now i am thinking of having the  bypass.

hope this helps..

susan                                                                                                
rhearob
on 3/30/12 1:44 pm - TN
 I was taking 1200 units of insulin along with Januvia and Victoza befre my surgery.  I was able to stop all diabetes meds 3 days after my surgery.  At my 3 month check up My A1C was down from near 10 to 5.4%.

Also at 3 months I was able to stop all BP meds.  My BP doesnt even break 130/80 now.

So yeah, the weight loss, diet, and Exercise really helped my diabetes.  I still test every day and 86 is the highest my glucose has been in the mornings.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

kam0520
on 3/30/12 1:47 pm - AL
I was on Metformin 1000 twice daily plus glyburide and had started victoza, I haven't taken them since the day I had surgery.  I know I will eventually go back to being diabetic (too much family history), but at 27, I'm glad to have a break for now.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Ladydivigirl
on 3/30/12 2:10 pm
I had to take insulin with EVERY Meal or snack that I ate..I also had to take 1000mg of Metformin daily...Before my surgery my A1C fluctuated between 9 and 12...I stopped all diabetes meds the day after surgery. And although my endocronologist said I will always be a diabetic...I don't need meds for now..my weight loss and diet and exercise is now controlling my diabetes. My highest number since surgery has been a 92 and that was the day after surgery, ever since it has been between 75-85. My A1C in now 5.6!!!! Yeah!!!!

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
moonglo82
on 3/30/12 2:58 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I'm about 36 hours post op, and my blood sugar has dropped from 220ish to 140-150. Dr. Aceves is happy with my progress and thinks I will be under 100 by the time I leave on Sunday.

My blood pressure, which was slightly elevated in the months preop, was 109/70 this morning. And that's with the constant feed of saline that was coming in through my IV.

I can't say for sure that my diabetes will go away, but it seems to be headed in the right direction, at any rate!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

frenchgrapes
on 3/30/12 3:41 pm, edited 3/30/12 3:42 am - TX
Familiar story here. Was on Metformin and had just started Byetta for the high blood sugar, and was on blood pressure and high cholesterol meds too. Since day of surgery I've been off all the meds. Blood pressure stays around 125/65, blood sugar stays around 89 fasting, and cholesterol numbers were good on last blood test. At almost four months out, I've stopped testing my blood sugar daily - just every so often now to make sure it doesn't creep back up on me. I check my blood pressure every morning and will have my cholesterol checked again at my regular PCP annual exam in June. At this point in time everything is controlled by the low fat, low sodium, low calorie, low sugar, high protein, high potassium diet I am fairly consistent adhering to. I just need to get more fiber in the diet.

Good luck to you in controlling your health issues through diet and exercise too.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
MargeAD
on 3/30/12 4:29 pm - CA
Yes, I stopped my Diabetic and BP meds the day after surgery. Just did a checkup with the doc. HA1C is 5.5 and she says the next time I see her I probably will be taken off of my lipid meds!

RW76
on 3/30/12 7:48 pm - Medina, OH
 It put mine into remission.  Pre-Op my A1C was around 7.1 so I had decent control using Metformin and Actos.  I stopped taking meds immediatly after surgery and 3 months post op it dropped to 5.6, and now a year out I'm at 5.0.

Pre Op: 415  SW: 390  Goal: 235 CW: 225

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views