Anyone have kidney stone advice??

Jaybee766
on 3/30/12 10:04 pm - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Sigh......so I have 2 (yup 2) kidney stones that have to "pass" at this point.  I have some pain meds but I'm trying not to take them during the day.  Not sure I can stick with that today though.  The urologist says that the painful part is the stone travelling down but the actual "passing" won't hurt.  Can anyone confirm that?  Or tell me what to expect?  I'm trying not to google it because that might just freak me out. 
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

bbearsmama
on 3/30/12 11:33 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Yes--the painful part is when the stone is travelling down one of your ureters--the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder. Once the stone is in your bladder-it's not bad to pass.  I went to the ER with a kidney stone because I was just hit with  the pain and didn't know what was wrong. I thought I was having appendicitis.  When I got to the hospital, they gave me morphine--didn't help. Then they gave me Toradol (an anti-inflammatory) and the pain went away!!  I stayed in the hospital one night and had to filter my urine. I didn't feel it come out at all--I just saw it in the filter. So your urologist is right--once it's in your bladder-it shouldn't really hurt (at least it didn't for me).

Are you filtering your urine?  Do you know where the location of the stone is right now? They did an x-ray with dye to locate my stone.

So sorry you're going through this. Do they think your wls diet has anything to do with it? I once read that those who've had rny have a higher chance of developing stones. I haven't had vsg yet so I'm sure hoping that I don't get more stones!!

Hang in there!

Hugs,
Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

blueeyedgal
on 3/31/12 1:07 am - AL
VSG on 02/03/12
I too had kidney stones last May.  Even worse pain than child birth.  The only way I could tolerate them moving was to be knocked out with pain meds til I passed them.  Hoping you feel better soon!

blueeyedgal    
kimbethin
on 3/31/12 2:05 am - CA
Drink as much liquid as you can stand to drink to help you pass it.  There is an ingredient in crystal light that smooths the stones to make them pass more easily.   It does get pretty painful, so ask for pain meds if you need them.  The type and amount of pain depends on where the stone is located in your kidney.  I hope you feel better soon
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Jaybee766
on 3/31/12 3:38 am - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
Thanks for the replies.  One little one is hanging out in my kidney and the other is just beginning it's way down the tube.  I do have the liquid vicodeine and some flomax (?) to relax the muscle in the tube.  I am using the strainer.  Can't wait til it passes
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

MTH
on 3/31/12 6:53 am
Oh ya, it hurts like hell when they are on the move.  I have kidney stones 4 and 5 (one in each kidney). I passed 1-3, one 6 months apart,  not looking forward to these 2 starting their treck out!!!  I really hate kidney stones.  I would rather birth my children again, the size they are now again instead of passing another stupid stone! By the way my kids are 6'  and weigh 230!!  Good luck and I hope you have a really fast moving stone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views