Hiatal Hernia Repair

dmmassengale09
on 4/1/12 10:58 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 06/21/12
 I'm going to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time I'm going to be sleeved.  Has anyone had this done and if so, have you had any problems related to that part of the surgery?  I think I'm more concerned about having problems with the hernia then I am with the sleeve.  As it stands now, I have a great deal of problems with the hernia and having to wait until the 19th is the worst part of it.  I'm so tired of having to sit up to sleep and wake myself up choking every night.  

Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/12 11:02 am - Mexico
On April 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM Pacific Time, dmmassengale09 wrote:
 I'm going to have a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time I'm going to be sleeved.  Has anyone had this done and if so, have you had any problems related to that part of the surgery?  I think I'm more concerned about having problems with the hernia then I am with the sleeve.  As it stands now, I have a great deal of problems with the hernia and having to wait until the 19th is the worst part of it.  I'm so tired of having to sit up to sleep and wake myself up choking every night.  

Any imput on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene

Hiatal hernias are verrrrry common in our population.  Obesity is a big cause of them.

I had a HH repaired during my initial band surgery and it was still fine during my revision to a sleeve.  I think it can add on a couple of days for your recovery but it's usually no big deal.

chiefsgirl3
on 4/1/12 11:02 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 I am curious also. I have to have a repair done also.  I have been told that it is pretty routine though. What kind of problems does your hernia cause?

dmmassengale09
on 4/1/12 11:26 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 06/21/12
  Oh the list goes on...the worst part of it is doesn't matter what or when I eat or drink.  It seems like everything comes back up in my throat. I get woke up at night with a severe burning in the back of my throat and it causes me to choke.  It feels like I'm sucking things down my windpipe and I have a hard time catching my breath.  I am currently taking dexalant 60 mg and carafate 10 ml three times a day whicih seems to be helping more then any of the other medicines they have had me on.  They told me that I have the largest and worst hiatal hernia they've ever seen. I've been in the hospital and have had numerous test for the problem and they have be horrible...don't want to go through them ever again.  

Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you too.  Keep me posted and best of luck!
boomercd
on 4/1/12 11:05 am - OH
I did, and I did not have any problems with either surgery, I have only had a heartburn a few time since then and Im so glad I had both done, although sometimes I think it did delay recovery a little, but worth it. Good luck I hope every thing goes well for you........Connie

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

cmp067
on 4/1/12 11:07 am
VSG on 03/23/12
I had the hernia repair at the same time. I wouldn't have known it if they hadn't told me. It wasnt discovered until i was in surgery. I had a little pain in the diaphragm area, but not sure if it was related to the VSG or hernia repair. I am 9 days out and feeling great - going back to work tomorrow. In my experience, it was not a big deal.

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

dmmassengale09
on 4/1/12 11:28 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 06/21/12
 Thanks so much to each of you for your imput.  It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about.  I will be so glad to have this behind me.
happyteacher
on 4/1/12 11:35 am
 Oh, I did!  No clue that I had it going into surgery either.  I too would wake up choking at night on the reflux, saliva out of control, and a lotta burn.  I just thought it was normal believe it or not.

I woke up from surgery and once the fog lifted I realized I had ZERO heartburn.  I was scared about this too, as the surgery for some increases reflux.  I was scared about having to down the 8 million tums I had grown so dependent on and the extra strength zantax wasn't enough.  

But, the surgery was worth it JUST for the hernia repair!!!  Yes, I had some chest discomfort from it- but very tolerable.  It bothered me to take a deep breath.  Use your spirometer, it seemed to help.  It took a couple weeks for the soreness to go away, but again the whole process was very tolerable.  And I still cannot believe that I NEVER need acid medicine anymore!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

chiefsgirl3
on 4/1/12 11:40 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 I will definitely keep you informed!  You do the same!  I had no idea that burning was related to the hernia!

Brenda777
on 4/1/12 11:48 am
VSG on 03/19/12
I got sleeved and my hernia repaired at the same time on March 19.

It worked fine.  The hernia repair was included as a "freebie."

It did not add to my hospital stay.  

You can tuck away your worries. :) 

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views