Everyday I get the orders for VSG and wonder...

NanfromSan
on 4/4/12 12:30 pm
VSG on 12/09/14
When is it my turn????

Everyday I process pre and post op orders for our bariatric patients.  It's been great because now I know exactly what to expect!  Almost every single one is a VSG too.  I hardly ever see RnY anymore.  Interesting...

One of these days that patient sticker is going to have my name on it! 

I even see we have protocols for patients that suffer dehydration post op.  That's also good to know.

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Christine_TX
on 4/4/12 12:34 pm - TX
VSG on 05/23/12
Your turn will be here before you know it!!
dejahsmom096
on 4/4/12 12:39 pm
You will be on the losers bench soon. We all will be waiting.
T.R       

Shagdoll
on 4/4/12 1:05 pm
My surgeon told me dehydration is his biggest complication for sleeve patients post-op. Good thing is, we can do our best to prevent that.
Let us know when it's your turn.
NanfromSan
on 4/5/12 3:02 am
VSG on 12/09/14
Dehydration is my biggest fear of this surgery.  Not leaks, infection, or other things people worry about LOL  I drink a ton of water now.  I just don't know how my body will react to the inability to chug water down.  I know they say "sip sip sip"...but I just wonder how to get it all in when you can't drink with food (another major habit I will have to break).  

Looks like the orders my doc uses addresses the dehydration both directly after surgery and then later post op.  Fluids with electrolytes and vitamins.  It gives me some comfort to know he has a plan for his patients...better than relying on ER to take care of me.  There's even orders that say to call him to tell him the status of his patients.  That makes me feel very secure.  I can see he came very highly recommended for a reason!

laurak712
on 4/5/12 4:02 am - New Braunfels, TX
I didn't know you worked for our Doc.  That's great!  Your turn will come.  I just know it.  Good luck to you hon.

Laura

Height 5' 7

NanfromSan
on 4/5/12 5:00 am
VSG on 12/09/14
On April 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM Pacific Time, laurak712 wrote:
I didn't know you worked for our Doc.  That's great!  Your turn will come.  I just know it.  Good luck to you hon.

Laura
I work for Baptist Health System- and JJ Gonzalez does all his surgeries at Northeast Baptist LOL  I wonder if he would be freaked out if I came to him with surgery protocol in hand and told him "Check off EVERYTHING and sign this"  LOL

Thanks so much.  I will be posting it for sure when I get a date!!!!  2 out of 4 required monthly pre-op visits done already.  So I'm halfway there

happyteacher
on 4/5/12 4:10 am
 Try not to worry too much about the fluids.  In my humble opinion, people who were big water drinkers before have an easier time of it.  I was also very worried about that, as I needed to drink way more than the average person presurgery.  Granted I did not chug right out of surgery, but I also had no trouble getting the fluids in- especially non-shake fluids.  The shakes filled me up pretty fast.  You will do great at it as long as you remember to sip and keep a drink with you all day!  I hope you get your date soon!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NanfromSan
on 4/5/12 5:01 am
VSG on 12/09/14
On April 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:
 Try not to worry too much about the fluids.  In my humble opinion, people who were big water drinkers before have an easier time of it.  I was also very worried about that, as I needed to drink way more than the average person presurgery.  Granted I did not chug right out of surgery, but I also had no trouble getting the fluids in- especially non-shake fluids.  The shakes filled me up pretty fast.  You will do great at it as long as you remember to sip and keep a drink with you all day!  I hope you get your date soon!
Thanks.  That does make me feel better.  At least I know it's not impossible.  The dietician also said that if you were a water drinker before you're likely to do better than someone who wasn't (that is, to get in the required water for the day).

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 220 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 300 views