Any foodies here?

louisamay
on 4/11/12 3:46 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I'm not actually a foodie, but I am somebody who has shifted away from all artificial stuff, so going on liquid diet is not pleasant.

I'm wondering how real food fits back into your world post-sleeve.  I know I can cook the fresh vegetables from my garden appropriately eventually, but am wondering how long it takes before you can begin to eat real food?

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

SassyItalian
on 4/11/12 4:07 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
i am a total foodie, we have a garden at my house and i use fresh herbs from there every day of the year, and the veggies from the garden in the summer.

it will take a few months to eat more normally. You really MUST focus on protein mainly for the first few months because you can only eat so little, it must be protein to support your body's systems. You can get your vitamins by taking your multi and anything else your dr. recommends on the vitamin front.

You will be able to gradually add in veggies after a few months, but again, make sure you are getting your protein first. your body needs it, it keeps you full, and fills you up quickest.

i completely enjoy food and cooking again, i always have, and vsg or not, i always will.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

louisamay
on 4/11/12 4:08 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Thank you! This is very reassuring!

edelu
on 4/11/12 8:16 am - los angeles, CA
6 weeks and by 8 i had replaced all my protein drinks with real food and i was careful to eat better, since it was so little i wanted it to be delicious.  i have to say i was a pretty good cook beforehand but I've really improved. timing is very individual i was just one of those people with no swelling so getting food and fluids in was a breeze from day 1.
fireman441
on 4/11/12 4:12 am - CT
VSG on 03/26/12
 i am 2+ weeks out .i had a egg today ,also string cheese,yesterday i had a yogurt.

next week i can have fish,the week after chicken week after meat and week after that salad.

vegetables now ..along with the liquids...hope this helps  some ..bruce

louisamay
on 4/11/12 4:14 am
VSG on 04/27/12
That helps a LOT! Thank you.

stepmomster
on 4/11/12 4:52 am
Hello!
Well as of tomorrow I will be 4 months out of surgery. I am unsure of what a "foodie" is but I will let you know that since surgery I LOVE food even more! What I mean by this is that I know I can only eat a small amount of food (about 1/3- 1/2 cup of food depending on they food) so I am gonna make sure that that food is SUPER tasty, super healthy and has all the protein that I need.
I have found that I LOVE trying new recipes and cooking! I detest even the thought of eating fast food. I hate when I have to eat out because I know that it will not satisfy me the way that my home cooking does.
Before surgery I was all about getting the most bang for my buck. I wanted to eat the most amount of food for the least amount of work and the least amount of money. My family ate a lot of hamburger helper, sloppy joes, chili dogs... now I LOVE grilling chicken, making homemade dipping sauces, making fritatta, homemade tortilla pizzas...
I spend a lot of time looking for new recipies... you can find some of my recipies that I like at:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/more-about-me.asp?user=713293 0

This surgery has opened up a whole new eating and cooking lifestyle for me and my family!

louisamay
on 4/11/12 6:27 am
VSG on 04/27/12
What you describe is actually the way I've been feeling recently about cooking.  Fast food is my downfall, and I'm looking forward to breaking that habit.  I'll definitely be looking at your recipes! Thank you.

hollykim
on 4/11/12 4:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
are you using shalkes on your liquid diet.

here are some resources for naturally flavored/sweetened shakes

WWW.teraswhey.com
WWW.drmercola.com
and the Syntrax nectar line has a natural shake sweetened with stevia . i don't know the address of their website,but it shouldn't be hard to fine.

I am 2 years post op and eat local seasonal veggies,local grass fed beef,pork and chicken fresh free range eggs from my chickens and raw milk and butter. I don't like artificial ingredients and make from scrach all our eals and as many other food items as I can.

GL

louisamay
on 4/11/12 6:28 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Thank you for these wonderful resources!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views