is anyone a prior lap bander????

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 4:28 am
 hi, im new to this board, well not really.  i had a band put in a few years ago and had problems with it.  after losing 65 or 70 lbs i had a prolapse.  the revision i had failed and that led to me having my band removed.  i was happy and sad as well.  i mourned the loss of my band, my hope for maintaining an average weight.  well, here i am 4 yrs later thinking about the sleeve.  am i crazy?  i wondered if there are issues such as sliming or foaming like with the band.  any info would be helpful!!!
emmajean
on 4/19/12 4:38 am
I had a band for 4 years - lost 75 pounds and then started having TONS of trouble with it.  I had it taken out and was sleeved.  No slimming, no foaming.  I remember standing in the bathroom, sometimes for HOURS waiting for whatever was stuck to come back up.  Not with the sleeve.  It's just like a small stomach. 

I can still eat and there are slider foods that go right through **** cream, chips, etc) so you have to 'work' at it and focus.  But it's so-o much better than the band.
SW with band: 270   
Reached with band: 200
Gained back/day of VSG surgery on 3/27/12: 229
Current weight: 192.6
Height 5'10"    
Goal: 170

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 4:44 am
 great news...no foaming or stuck feeling.  id idnt think you would get the same side effects with the band because there isnt anything around the stomach to restrict it, right?  its just smaller.  did you have a nice weight loss with the sleeve? did you use the same dr to do the sleeve that did the band?  can you drink while eating?  i would think so right?  was the procedure similiar to the band or harder of a recovery?
The New Mrs
on 4/19/12 5:33 am - Mooresville, NC
VSG on 02/09/12
I had the sleeve after having a band for two years and experiencing a slip. I wish I would have had the sleeve first.
Julie
Lap Band Surgery 12/19/2009, revised to Sleeve 2/9/2012

Next goal:  183
AnnMarie
on 4/19/12 5:41 am
VSG on 04/10/12
There's tons of us ex banders here! Search in the archives, look at the revision board. I was just sleeved a little over a week ago Welcome, it's a different world but so far, so good!

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 8:05 am
 ann, can you compare the band vs sleeve for me?  or is it too soon?   why did you go from a band to a sleeve?  how was recovery?
AnnMarie
on 4/19/12 10:11 am
VSG on 04/10/12
Well, to be honest, it IS too soon for me to compare but there are lots of good experiences on the board to get info from for data collection. I am still in the full liquids phase and so I haven't felt that "full" or "limited" feeling. At this point, I could continually "eat" full liquids ALL day!
I invite you to read my profile, the band, for me, was nightmare--tons of complications, infections, wound packing, multiple surgeries and finally just resignation until recently when I found I needed to have it removed or continue to endanger my life.  I chose to go with the VSG because in the short window that the band did work for me, it worked wonderfully, so I know that a restrictive approach is good for me. I go to my first follow up on Tuesday at which point I expect to be able to eat some 'real' food--so we'll see how next week goes. Melly37 is a wonderful source, she was just revised from a band to vsg a week prior to myself and she is always on top of her blog :)

AnnMarie  vsg 4/10/12 Age: 41, Height: 5'2ish
       Banded '04 PreOp BMI 64, PreOp for VSG: BMI 55, SW BMI: 50 

girliegirlgirl
on 4/19/12 11:10 am
 how do i see your profile?  il also email Melly37 too.  
Seemeslimmer
on 4/19/12 12:24 pm - Bardstown, KY
I am a band to sleeve revision and I have not been sick in five weeks since the surgery. Unbelievable. The band was not for me. I am hungry with the sleeve, but have found that for some, that is normal, but it doesn't take much to squash the hunger.
      See  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views