Food doesn't stay down... HELP PLEASE!

Krissykitty
on 4/22/12 12:52 pm - Cookeville, TN
VSG on 03/15/12
I'm 5 1/2 weeks out from VSG and I puke nearly every day. Not because i'm nauseaus but because i get a pressure in my chest and it just comes back up... The only things I've been able to hold down is cheese cubes, greek yogurt, and crackers. Even tuna i get that pressure/pain start burping and the food just comes back up. I don't understand what my problem is. I'm trying to eat almost nothing so i'm not sure if im eating too much. Last night I tried 1 scrambled egg for dinner and was puking for an hour. Tried a soft potato for dinner tonight and it did the same thing. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my sleeve?
SweetpeaRN72
on 4/22/12 12:58 pm
I'm 3 weeks out today and I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm living on greek yogurt, cheese and protein shakes. Cream of wheat even comes back up. I told my surgeon about it Wed at my 2 week appointment and he says maybe my sleeve is a little too tight at the top. he wants to wait 2-3 more weeks and if I still can't advance my diet, do a scope to check it out. I still can't figure out wht I'm not losing much though since I can't eat anything. I'm only down 18 lbs. Where were you at 3 weeks? It just seems like the scale won't move.
peeches35
on 4/22/12 12:59 pm
VSG on 04/03/12
i was told if you over eat then you get that presure measure your food so you wont go over .i know i get it when am eating it feels like it wants to come up but thank god It stay don't but i stop eating and i sit up for 2 hours until it pass hope you get better god bless

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

ruggie
on 4/22/12 1:00 pm - Sacramento, CA
1)  Regardless of what you read here, call your surgeon and nutrionist tomorrow.  Do this.

2)  You may be eating too fast and/or too much.  If you say "pressure" that's really making me think that you're going over your restriction point.  How long did you take to eat the 1 scrambled egg?

3)  You may also need to stay on liquids for longer - you may be behind on the healing curve.

4)  You may need anti-nausea meds.

5)  A bit off topic, but you shouldn't be having potato for dinner.  It's 100% carb.

6)  It makes sense that you're having more trouble with tuna and less with yogurt (will slide through your stomach faster) and crackers (carbs will slide through faster too).  Dense protein, like tuna, will sit in your stomach longer.

It's normal and not normal... definitely call your surgeon's office though - they still for you even after surgery!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Krissykitty
on 4/22/12 1:01 pm - Cookeville, TN
VSG on 03/15/12
Well, I'm 5 1/2 weeks out from surgery and have only lost 20 pounds post op, so i'm losing a little slow.
Krissykitty
on 4/22/12 1:02 pm - Cookeville, TN
VSG on 03/15/12
Lol I know bad on the potato for dinner I just was hoping it would stay down seeing as nearly only the carbs I eat will stay down.
Lee ~
on 4/22/12 1:47 pm - CA
 I could not tolerate either eggs or tuna until I was 4-5 months post op. I just threw them up. We are all different. Jay because a food is allowed doesn't mean your sleeve will accept it.  Eat small bites and chew a lot!  Stop before you feel full.

Listen to Ruggie, call your surgeon in the morning.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

emdesq
on 4/22/12 2:57 pm
I'm 7+ months out and I still vomit at least once a week. It generally happens when I eat too fast.  Sad to say, I am sort of used to it, so it doesn't alarm me anymore. 

Also, I had lots of trouble with scrambled eggs early on, but could tolerate fried or soft-boiled eggs just fine. You might want to try a different preparation of the eggs.

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200
Kevin H.
on 4/22/12 9:56 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 If foods are getting stuck and wont go down you could have a stricture.  You really need to contact your surgeon and find out what is going on with you.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_stricture 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views