2.5 months out: my list of VSG pros

bestofme45
on 4/23/12 6:28 am
As someone who is pre-op I so appreciate your post! I am still at the point where I think I may still care about other peoples opinions and choosing something like surgery to lose the weight feels a little like failure to do it myself. I too have been heavy and have battled weight issues my whole life. Thank you for being the voice that I so need to hear.. I mostly hear.."oh it's not that bad, you can do it, why don't you try......," oh and my favorite.. "let's go out and eat and we can talk about it, make work out schedules etc...". I want to feel like you in that you have made a decision for yourself and you feel great about it. KUDOS TO YOU!!!!!! You deserve your success, and I am starting to believe that I do too!!
Thanks and continued success :)
Rosemary1031
on 4/23/12 7:28 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
thanks for stopping by to read it!
I've come to realize a few of the reasons why the people in our lives are so opinionated about our weight and would try to talk us out of change, especially something so extreme as surgery.
I feel most of it is fear: they're afraid to lose us, they're afraid we'll change, they're afraid we will succeed. It's human nature, as I have also been a naysayer in the past with friends who got RNY surgeries. I'm so glad they didnt listen to me lol.

WLS became an option for me when I realized I was waiting for things to happen but they never did. I simply got tired of waiting. I think I just diva'ed up one day and said to myself, "there is no way I'm waiting for anything anymore. I'm gonna make it happen!"
Who cares what others think. It's your life so live it. And you know that being stuck in a rut is not living.
This surgery is wonderful in that fighting the good fight is really only a matter of 2 hospital days. Then you have your entire life ahead of you to reap the benefits.
do it ;)

xo
Meghann89
on 4/23/12 7:29 am - MI
Thank you for this post! I am one week pre-op & I am having last minute jitters. This helps to read the better outcomes of the surgery and the things to look foward to :) Thank you so much! If you don't mind me asking how much have you lost in this short period of time?
bestofme45
on 4/23/12 9:57 am
"I realized I was waiting for things to happen and they never did"..... You are soo singing my song with that Rosemary!!! I am 44 now and I too feel like I am waiting my life away. I don't want to come to the end of it realizing that there was a tool that could have given me a hand up and I didn't take it.
I had an Aunt whose weight imprisoned her...it became her identity and I have always wondered what kind of life it would have been had this been available to her.
I also have two kids, and I am painfully aware that I am not the mom I would be if I was thin. So sad to say that I let my weight dictate the person I show to the world, but I do and always have to some degree. Maybe vanity is a good thing and I just haven't used it to my advatage..lol
again.. I am so happy for you and for your success!! I hope to be there someday soon too
(deactivated member)
on 4/23/12 2:41 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Hi there! Your post is great! I had surgery just a few days before you and I can feel some of the NSV's. I just don't think I celebrate them enough. part of me feels like I can't celebrate until I get closer to goal. I am crossing my legs with ease at this point and that is amazing. Most of my pre op clothes ARE too big now and look really baggy. I should probably go clothes shopping but I haven't felt like rewarding myself any yet. I think I must have some issues when it comes to that. I am not allowing myself to get too excited yet in case my weight loss stops. I know that sounds crazy! I wish I had your awesome attitude!

I will say that I am very grateful for the sleeve helping me control my appetite. It works wonders on portion control!! Protein first and I am full soo fast. Before surgery, it took a LOT more food to make me full. So I am very grateful for that.
Rosemary1031
on 4/24/12 3:53 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
Not rewarding ourselves: you and me both! At almost 3 months out, I am barely coming around to the idea of shopping. Maybe my shopping issues are that it's been a dismal experience every single time in the past, but let's reward ourselves because it won't be that way this time around!

I've made a day - next paycheck I am getting some cute form-fitting tops and some smaller work pants.

Like you, I am grateful as well. Grateful every day! thanks for commenting :)
gabriellaz
on 4/23/12 2:52 pm - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Thank you, What a wonderful post, and congrats.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views