Numbness, Burning, and B6

Jennifer S.
on 4/23/12 1:03 pm

Just wanted to provide you all with some information, in case anyone else has this issue.  About 2 months ago, I began to have some decreased sensation in my feet.  It progressed to a burning, painful sensation with tingling and restlessless. 

Long story short, I had labs drawn from my WLS and saw my PCP... got referred to a neurologist.  Had an EMG and Nerve Conduction Test (neither of which are fun and I would NOT wish them on an enemy).  Diagnosis - my B6 level is 10 times normal.  The B6 actually causes periphreal nerve damage that resolves over time, once your levels normalize. The neurologist has 2 other WLS patients with this issue and there have been several articles in the Journal of Neurology about this.  

Just wanted everyone to be aware, as I hadn't heard of this until it happened to me.  And yes, I'd still take my VSG and the weird foot pain over the 150+ pounds I lost!

Jennifer

INgirl
on 4/23/12 1:14 pm
Since I am a vites and labs interested person, can I ask what supplement you were taking? 
Jennifer S.
on 4/24/12 8:49 am
Jo -

I was taking Vitafusion gummy vitamins, double the usual dose.  So, I was getting 16 mg of B6 a day.  According to surgeon and my neurologist, this is consistent with bariatric dosing and some supplements contain even more.  The "Celebrate" brand gives you 24 mg a day.

Apparently, there is a great deal of research going on regarding why some WLS patients get toxic on these doses and others do not.  My hubby, for example, is on the same vitamins (had VSG a month before me) and has no issues.  Guess it's always fun to be a medical anomaly! 

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jennifer

Jennifer

INgirl
on 4/24/12 9:08 am
Interesting.. Thanks for answering, I supplement B vites as well so I was really curious!
Brenda777
on 4/23/12 1:19 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
What does that mean?  You had too much B vitamins?  Feel better soon.

HW: 318.6  Pre-surgery Weight: 268.6  CW: 149 Sleeve Date:  March 19, 2012
- 169.6  pounds!  Doctor established medical goal weight = 165. I lost 50 pounds before getting sleeved.  Current BMI = 27  Original starting BMI = `58.3  Tummy Tuck: 01-04-13

Jennifer S.
on 4/24/12 8:52 am
Essentially, I was taking the usual dose of vitamin B6 (and less than some people).  However, for some reason my body must absorb, use, or metabolize it different than other people.  My neurologist says that there is lots of ongoing research related to why this occurs in some WLS patients and not others.  No answers to why, but at least I know what to do and how to overcome this little bump in the road.

Jennifer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views