sleeve after a band??

girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 4:01 am
 hi, has anyone had a sleeve after they were banded?  i met today with a dr who told me he wouldnt do a sleeve for me, as its too risky.  i have had 2 lapband surguries and 1 surgery to remove the band.  he said my insides are a mess and i would do wonderful with a bypass.  any one else told this?
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 4:07 am
Did he show you pics and give you specific reasons why a sleeve is not an option?

I would check out the revisions board for advice.

If it were me I think I would at least look for a second opinion.  Maybe someone who is more experienced with the sleeve than this surgeon?
girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 4:11 am
 well he had my files in front of him on his desk but didnt look at them to my knowledge.  he just told me he wouldnt do it, risks for leaking etc since i have car tissue.  he said he knows my stomach is a mess inside from all the operations.  im just not sure i want a bypass, it so extreme for me and im afraid of that one.  
edelu
on 4/25/12 8:42 am - los angeles, CA
I am a revision and my surgery went fine, however i know of at least 4 people who when opened up, could not be revised to the sleeve.  he's been inside you before, he knows what is there.  you could always get another opinion.  My Dr warned me about extreme corrosion and if he encountered that i would not be getting the sleeve.  thankfully that wasn't the case with me.
bigtigger1010
on 4/25/12 4:18 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
I would find another surgeon... there r planty of ppl here who have revised to sleeve and i  actually talked my mom into revising, as she's lost 100# and gaianed 60 back... she's in the process now...

I'm sure every case is a little different, but i, like u, was afraid of the malabsorption and wouldn't get RNY... so i'd seek out another qualified surgeon who has done sleeve to band revisions (lots of them) and atleast get their opinion..

GOOD LUCK!!!

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 5:18 am
 thanks for the help.  so will your mother have the change to sleeve also?  so did your dr say if it were more risky because of all the scar tissue?  im so confused at this point.  i am however planning on seeing some other drs to hear their opinions on it.  
bigtigger1010
on 4/25/12 7:32 am - Laurel, MD
VSG on 04/05/12
i didn't have a band (planned to but then found the sleeve) but my mom had the band a few yrs ago... i'm not sure of exactly what her surgeon said as i wasn't there...

Being at a greater risk for leaks makes sense because of the trauma your stomach has already endured... I know my mom's surgeon said they would do it in 1 procedure, but i know there are some here who have had it down in 2 parts (taking the band out and had to wait 6-12 mos before getting sleeved)... it probably depends on a few factors... ie: which type of band u have, how long u've had it, what/if any exisiting trauma/scar tissue/issues your having...

But I would think that if u've had urs out already and ur stomach has had time to heal some of the damage done u'd be in a better postion (to not leak) than someone having it in a one step...

I would deffinately seek out other drs and find out all of their stats as Ms Shell said... for revisions, as well as, reg sleeves and find someone who is cofident in doing a sleeve revision!

Best of luck to u :-)

HW:344  SW:329  CW:207.8  Losses: pre-op - 15/ post-op - 121.2        
M1 -  25      M2 -  18    M3 -  14.2    M4  - 11.8     M5   - 14      M6  -  9.6
M7 -  6.6     M8 -  7.0   M9 -  5.6      M10 - 7.8      M11 - 1.6+      M12- ??    

smbergie200
on 4/25/12 4:46 am - Naples, FL
I would also suggest to find another surgeon. Band to sleeve revisions are becoming quite common because the band has such a high failure rate. Their are plenty of surgeons out there that would feel comfortable doing it. Don't give up. The VSG is well worth the effort.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

girliegirlgirl
on 4/25/12 5:19 am
 he did tell me i might be able to find someone to do it, but he would not.  he scared me.  it makes me second guess the dr who says they will do it?  hmm?  maybe this dr was just more into bypasses, who knows?  alothough he did a sleeve on someone i know.  he said just not on me, no way!
joeswife
on 4/25/12 5:36 am - CA
I am a revision from band to sleeve. My surgeon did warn me that I would be at a higher risk for a leak, however, he sutured heavily and then stapled. ANd I followed instructions to a "T:". I also did clear fluids for 2 weeks and then full liquid protein for another 2 weeks. I was determined to let my tummy heal fully before introducing food into it.

I had no problems whatsoever, I am in love with my sleeve and weight loss. I never had this much success with anything I have EVER done. I lost the weight quickly and steadily and it was not hard like all the diets I have been on or throwing up constantly with the band.

Good luck, don't give up.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views